u joints

/ u joints #1  

dps

I am having to replace the ujoints on my rotary cutter. I am having trouble pressing out the old u joints. ant suggestions or tips on how to get it pressed out easily?

/ u joints #2  
Don't know about the joints on your cutter but I've installed hundreds of u-joints on various other things. I never "pressed" the old joints out and I'm not sure if you can.

I've always driven the old joints out with a hammer and a chisel. Put the chisel against the cross of the joint and drive the bearing cup out on one side. Then go the other direction and drive the bearing cup out of the other side. Then the joint will come out.

Press the new bearing cups in on the new joint using a bench vise or, if you can't get it in a vise, with a large C clamp.

/ u joints
well I am using a hammer and a punch, but the bearing cap will only go so far and then I cannot get it to go any further. almost like it is getting stuck in the yoke.

/ u joints #4  
Can you post a picture? Is there a retaining clip that you forgot to remove?

/ u joints
I have removed all the retaining clips. I think it just may be because the u joints are old.

/ u joints #6  
I used to drive Volvos. Had to change U joints every year like clockwork. Find yourself a 1/2" drive socket which snugly fits into the end you want to push in place. Find another one (this is a little harder) which has a hole (about 3/4" inch) big enough to accept the end you want to push out. Get a big C clamp (or better yet a big vise) to use as a press. The caps should push right out. If you need to encourage it, tighten it up and tap the clamp or vise along the screw.

Works marvels.

/ u joints #7  
If the retainers are removed then it is probably just rust or a burr in the metal that is stopping you. I would drive the bearing cup back a little and just try to figure out what is in the way.

/ u joints #8  
After you do get the old u-joint out , make sure the yoke is smooth and clean and use plenty of anti-seize compound in the yoke and on the bearing cap . It is very messy but will help you the next time you need to dis-assemble it . Don't forget to grease it when you are done .

/ u joints #9  
Since the clips are removed, I'll bet there's just crud keeping it from moving easily. Try PB (Parts Blaster) and apply it all around. Let it work for a minute or two. Parts Blaster can be gotten at Murray's.

/ u joints #10  
Is the shoulder on the cross holding it? I've had them were I've pounded the caps out as far as they'd go either way and then shoe horned the cross out. You also might be having them cock on you. All you can do then is walk 'em out by pounding them from side to side.