PTO output shaft reversal

/ PTO output shaft reversal #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Hi Guys,

I am curious to know if one can get a small gearbox that will slide over an existing PTO output shaft, but will give opposite rotation to the new shaft. It would not be a complex or expensive item - just two gears running together inside a casing, with another output shaft turning the opposite direction.

Maybe I am dreaming, but I am convinced I have seen them but have no idea where or when. Anybody know of a setup that is available?

Reason for wanting one of these is I am thinking of trying to convert a rear pusher type snow blower, to a rear pull type blower - everything else should work or be easily modified. The main crux would be changing direction of PTO outlet shaft.

Any pointers, ideas or what have you, will be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Jim

/ PTO output shaft reversal #2  
I would think this would be quite simple as you mentioned. Two identical gears meshing together would give the desided results. With the use of some block bearings and short shafts to keep them in place set in a pan type housing allowing for lubricant to be picked up by both rotating assemblies.
I have not seen this in a manufactured assembly but it does not seem too complicated.
What does the rest of the blower look like ? ( diagram ? ) Could it be accomplished on the blower itself easier? If you include a rough sketch to the post I'm sure some alternative ideas will pop up.

/ PTO output shaft reversal #3  
:cool: hey there jim I had posted just yesterday in Build It yourself under A heading of Front Mount Driven Snowblower take a look see. On another note I had gotten a gear box similar to what your looking for from a place in Winnipeg that I deal with.They got it for me from a place in the USA from Hub City. If you need more info will be glad to help.But take a look in the above site for picture's.I'am not to sure how to give you a quick link to the above Larry :D

/ PTO output shaft reversal #4  
Years ago Hub City made an adaptor for use on Farmall Cubs and Kubota,they don't offer them in their catalog anymore,as far as finding a used one I don't think you will have much luck allot of gray market tractors had left turning PTOs so the demand is high. You could do it with a heavy chain and 3 sprockets.

/ PTO output shaft reversal #5  
:cool:I just bought this gear box [Parrallel shaft drive]this past Nov.09 and Hub city does say that they can make anykinda gear box call them or e-mail them and see what happens Larry:D