Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist?

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #11  
I have owned a woodmizer LT25 for 10 years. Great mill,rugged,easy,low maintennce. Woodmizer parts help is first class.Blade sharping program is easy and cheap. The LT 10 or Lt25 or LT 28 although more expensive than most entry level mills from other companies will pay you back over and over with ease of use and rugged quality.

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist?
<snip> The LT 10 or Lt25 or LT 28 although more expensive than most entry level mills from other companies will pay you back over and over with ease of use and rugged quality.
You may not have looked at prices lately, the LT10 price was lowered to match other entry level mills, $3K.
I think it is well worth it.
However the head is too big for my needs.

Newberry, I visit a woodworking forum from time to time. A bunch of the guys on the forum say to never buy a Harbor Freight machine that has a motor. They say the motors are worthless. I have a woodworking shop with several Harbor Freight machines that have been running for years flawlessly.

I had a HF jointer that I used for 5 years and sold it for 75 percent of what I originally paid. I was expecting to have to come down on price, but didn't. I wouldn't put much stock in what someone says unless they had hands on experience with it.
And just because it's sold by Harbor Freight or Northern Tools doesn't mean it's a cheap chinese copy, as is the case with this sawmill, which is made in NY.

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #14  
And just because it's sold by Harbor Freight or Northern Tools doesn't mean it's a cheap chinese copy, as is the case with this sawmill, which is made in NY.

HUH?! made in NY ? Where did you see this info ?:eek: Heck if I see the builder near me, Ill mosey on down to his shop and inquire about it! ;)

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #15  
I would normally have responded to this with a PM, but I was admonished on another forum for using PM.

I don't mind PM good or bad :D

Any chance if you are in the neighborhood of the store again you could ask about the HF Mills and get some actual experience? See one actually put together? Touch one? Maybe snap a pic?

I'm a little confused :confused: Do you want me to check our local HF or go to Hud-son and ask about theirs? Like I said I can tell you just about anything as to the Hud-son {smaller} mills. This is one of my favorite places to go. They even have a annual show in june, were you can run their machines and even watch them build them {form the ground up}!

I've also been told that the Oscar 28 is far to small to use and a waste of time.

And bumblebees can't fly.

The 28 is bigger then the 18, mine came with a 8.5hp engine. It is a little slower then a big machine but with the right blade etc... it'll cut anything that can fit on the rail. I cut 30" diameter hemlock logs {they are tough, full of knots}this past year had to trim them{with chainsaw} 1st so they'd fit. I also cut locust a couple years back and it did fine{atleast until I hit the old fencing nails :eek:}

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #16  
HUH?! made in NY ? Where did you see this info ?)

Look at the 3rd post on this thread. He called Hudson and they said they had them at their place.

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #17  
Thanks Eazyduzzit, missed that, I'll have to go out there and take a look. If they did have them last summer I didn't see them or just plain missed them.

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #18  
Thanks Eazyduzzit, missed that, I'll have to go out there and take a look. If they did have them last summer I didn't see them or just plain missed them.

You might have to ask about them. If my understanding is correct, they're made by Hudson for HF.

I'm a little confused :confused: Do you want me to check our local HF or go to Hud-son and ask about theirs? Like I said I can tell you just about anything as to the Hud-son {smaller} mills. This is one of my favorite places to go. They even have a annual show in june, were you can run their machines and even watch them build them {form the ground up}

I was talking about whatever they (Hud-Son's Forestry Equipment, HUDON'S SLED SALVAGE) stock which is the same model as the HF one.
it's also on fleabay, but if I search on just sawmill it doesn't show up. If one uses the search terms "PORTABLE SAWMILL BANDSAW BANDMILL CHAIN SAW " it shows up, and they are selling it from Hudonsledgesalvage (NOT HUD-SON, but HUDON) for $2,195 or high bid. I'd post a link but I've gotten my hands slapped before for fleabay links.
PM if y'all want one.

(That's been driving me nuts, because I found it once then just searching for sawmill nothing showed up near that price range.)

As I understand it, it's "all in the family", but they may have 3 slightly separate retail establishments, but they seem to get along.

Now I've got to find out when in June! Unless I can find a 20% discount on fleabay I'd just a soon go to the store and let them talk me into something bigger.

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #20  
Newbury, Hud-son salavge is still part of the company. I believe they have 3 different types of stores right next to each other chainsaw, snowmobile, band mills/tractors. Plus they sell some other stuff.

I just checked there site and could not find the June show. I'll have to give them a call, usually it's around the 1st or 2nd week????