Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist?

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
One of the reasons I bought my tractor is to do what dads do -
Make big things (trees) into small things (lumber).
And then make small things (lumber) into big things (buildings).

I need a sawmill.

I posted in the parts/repairs forum because of the HF thread,

Thanks to tractorbynet I found a couple of other sites/forums that talk about sawmills etc.

Harbor Freight has a sawmill - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices that looks like a mini Hud-Son Oscar 18 portable sawmills, portable sawmill, band mill Portable Sawmills, Bandmills, Sawmilling Equipment , accessories Hud-Son, has phone support from Hud-Son salvage and costs, if you can use a coupon, $1850 +sh versus the $3000 of the Oscar 18,

All the other forums have several threads, LONG threads, about how this is a cheap knockoff. Based on the PICTURE- only 1 or 2 poster even noticed it's supported by Hud-Son.

One forum owner flamed me because I quoted him.

I could not find ANY reports from someone who actually bought one.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with one?
Has anyone actually SEEN one?
Is it like an honest politician? military intelligence?
Is it a suck or doen't suck?

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #2  
Newbury, I can't help you with the HF model, except that it does look cheap??? I'm sure you could mount it on a 6x6 or steal rail and that would make a difference.

I can tell you some about the Hud-Son oscar's though, I own the 28 model. Their main plant is about 30miles from me. I looked at the 18 but for the few extra $$${at the time} the 28 seemed better. I did get the tow package{special deal} not so much for towing but for the strength of the rail. I also built and added an extra 10' of rail. If I had to do it again I'd just buy the materials for the rail and build that myself, then purchase their power head. I will say however, I have had a great time using my 28, It has not let me down. I have built a 2 story house, a garage, pool and house decks, plus many other things for neighbors{house addition, garage addition etc..}.

The key to any mill is learn the in and outs of the machine. Sharp blades, alinement, clean belt wheels etc.... make a world of difference. I have done logs for folks with my small machine and have made MUCH better lumber then some of the big guns. The reason being is I take the time before I cut, sharp blade and making sure the miil is ready. Some guys with big machines feel they can cut no matter what just because they have 20-30-50hp engine. Sure they can cut, but they still end up with what I like to call the perfect female board, beautiful curves :eek:

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist?
Well I called the number on the manual, got thru to Hud-Son Forestry, I was told it's made in New York and to stop by and they could demo one.
Looks like it's not cheap chinese junk.

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #4  
Well I called the number on the manual, got thru to Hud-Son Forestry, I was told it's made in New York and to stop by and they could demo one.
Looks like it's not cheap chinese junk.

Keep us posted on what you find out. I would be interested to hear what you think after you've seen it.

Keep us posted on what you find out. I would be interested to hear what you think after you've seen it.
Well unfortunately it's a fur piece from here.
On another forum one sawyer actually posted that he had seen part of one partially assembled in a HF in SC. And he complained about the HP of the saw (6.5) which is the same as the Hud-Son Oscar 18 and 0.5 less than the widely used Woodmizer LT10.

But still no one has posted about using one (which I really want to find out), owning one, touching one, or even seeing one fully assembled.

But there are LOTS of posts about it's poor quality and questionable origin.

I've seen to many times people get into "group" think and something becomes the thing to praise or dump on without any actual experience.

Newbury, I can't help you with the HF model, except that it does look cheap??? I'm sure you could mount it on a 6x6 or steal rail and that would make a difference.

I can tell you some about the Hud-Son oscar's though, I own the 28 model. Their main plant is about 30miles from me. I looked at the 18 but for the few extra $$${at the time} the 28 seemed better. I did get the tow package{special deal} not so much for towing but for the strength of the rail. I also built and added an extra 10' of rail. If I had to do it again I'd just buy the materials for the rail and build that myself, then purchase their power head. I will say however, I have had a great time using my 28, It has not let me down. I have built a 2 story house, a garage, pool and house decks, plus many other things for neighbors{house addition, garage addition etc..}.

The key to any mill is learn the in and outs of the machine. Sharp blades, alinement, clean belt wheels etc.... make a world of difference. I have done logs for folks with my small machine and have made MUCH better lumber then some of the big guns. The reason being is I take the time before I cut, sharp blade and making sure the miil is ready. Some guys with big machines feel they can cut no matter what just because they have 20-30-50hp engine. Sure they can cut, but they still end up with what I like to call the perfect female board, beautiful curves :eek:
I would normally have responded to this with a PM, but I was admonished on another forum for using PM.

Any chance if you are in the neighborhood of the store again you could ask about the HF Mills and get some actual experience? See one actually put together? Touch one? Maybe snap a pic?

I've also been told that the Oscar 28 is far to small to use and a waste of time.

And bumblebees can't fly.

Well OBVIOUSLY there are not enough interested users on this site that have one of these units.

BUTT -

I've found one fellow on another web site that writes like he has one. Also they seem to be sold on ebay under the name of hudonsledsalvage. It's beginning to look like the ideal size for my "intermediate" need.
I know I will probably need a much larger one later on, like I will need a larger tractor. But it's a lot easier to convince SWMBO that I need a bigger one after I prove the utility of the entry level model than that I need a big one to start with.

After I CSM'ed up my first tree she saw some utility in it, but not $10K utility. After I dug out my first stump she saw the use for the backhoe and tractor. Just today there is/was a mini-ex, looked like about a 24" bucket, 100hp? working on a house near us. When I mentioned "I could do that, might take a bit longer" she was REAL interested (now what do I have to build?).
So I view purchase of a quality "minimill" as getting my foot in the door.
But PLEASE if there are any other users out there post to this thread about use etc.

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #8  
   / Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #9  
Newberry, I visit a woodworking forum from time to time. A bunch of the guys on the forum say to never buy a Harbor Freight machine that has a motor. They say the motors are worthless. I have a woodworking shop with several Harbor Freight machines that have been running for years flawlessly.

I had a HF jointer that I used for 5 years and sold it for 75 percent of what I originally paid. I was expecting to have to come down on price, but didn't. I wouldn't put much stock in what someone says unless they had hands on experience with it.

/ Harbor Freight Sawmill - does it exist? #10  
I gotta get out of here, before guys get pi$$ed at my comments, but one last post! I think it's the "Lemon" thing! I'm lookin' at a Honda 13hp for my proposed mill. Doggone, there're pricey! Seems like I could buy a HF Clone, twice! Some guys have luck, some don't! ~Scotty