Front Differential TROUBLE!

/ Front Differential TROUBLE!
Well... Still waiting for parts... Actually some came, but, quite a few were missing (mostly o-rings) and I don't want to start assembly without them!

Speaking of parts... One of the parts I need is an oil seal. It looks like they have rolled the part multiple times... The original part number I found in the parts book is: 31353-43874. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorsmart.com>TractorSmart's website </A> "forwarded" me to T0270-13150 and then T0270-13152. Plus, there is a "PLEASE SEE BULLETIN" message on the part. Does anyone know where to find these bulletins or perhaps knows what this one is!?!?

Thanks!!!

/ Front Differential TROUBLE! #22  
Usually on oil seals and bearings, I carefully remove them and take 'em to a local bearing supply. I have two to choose from which are only about 20 miles from me. Prices are cheaper than OEM and you don't have to wait. I usually call first. They can cross reference numbers on your bearings and seals to see if they have one in stock. The only shortfall is that you must disassemble then get cleaned up and drive to wharehouse. Price and time being down usually drives me though.

/ Front Differential TROUBLE!
It been a while (a long while! including a month long vacation!), but, I thought I should let everyone know that I fixed the problem!!!

Thanks for all the advice... I ended up doing the job myself. Didn't have too much trouble... I bought a bunch of shims, thinking the tolerances could change, but I ended up not using any (actually, there was one measurement that was close I wanted to adjust it, but of course, that was one shim I didn't buy... oh well, like I said, the measurement was close, not way off...). I also took the "opportunity" to replace some seals that were leaking.

Anyway, 4wd is back up and running and all leaks are fixed! I've put about 20-30 hours on it since the repair and all is well....

Thanks again!

Billboe

p.s. Attached is a photo of the damage...

Attachments

• 48-205487-116-1615_IMGreduced.JPG
    48-205487-116-1615_IMGreduced.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 235
   / Front Differential TROUBLE! #24  
Billboe,
I am a field service engineer for a manufacturer of Rockwell hardness and tensile testing equipment. I looked at your broken part and I am convinced it broke due to improper heat treating. Take it to the bank.

/ Front Differential TROUBLE! #25  
Billboe,
I am a field service engineer for a manufacturer of Rockwell hardness and tensile testing equipment. I looked at your broken part and I am convinced it broke due to improper heat treating. Take it to the bank, this part was defective. See the ridge where is was case hardened? This part should have be hardened to all the way through. In a QC check, this part is sawed in half and hardness is checked for case and core. For whatever reason the core hardness failed.

/ Front Differential TROUBLE! #26  
Billboe,

AND...thanks for following up and concluding the tread nicely.

Always nice to know how things turned out...especially with a photo attached.

Bill in Pgh, PA