Can Hole Saws Be Sharpened?

/ Can Hole Saws Be Sharpened? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
Can a bimetal hole saw be sharpened? I was finishing a set of shafts for my Dad's "One Horse Open Sleigh" today. I grabbed an old used hole saw to cut some plugs to cap the ends of the shafts (1 1/4" pipe), and it was VERY dull. In the end I got the two plugs cut and welded on the ends quite nicely; but it was a loud, hot, slow, messy endeavor.

I'm sure I can just scrap the hole saw and buy another, but these bigger ones are not cheap. It's a Dewalt brand. I have a half dozen or so that I have accumulated in "miscellaneous buckets" from auctions. I'd guess most of them are in about the same shape as the one I used today.

/ Can Hole Saws Be Sharpened? #2  
I doubt it unless you have the patience of Job. I suspect hole saws are constructed flat with the teeth welded to the base metal and then rolled to the final shape.

I feel your pain on the larger sizes being pricey.

If you do manage to sharpen them, let us know how you did it.

/ Can Hole Saws Be Sharpened? #3  
ive touched mine up with a dremel. go about it like you would sharping a handsaw.

/ Can Hole Saws Be Sharpened? #4  
I doubt it unless you have the patience of Job. I suspect hole saws are constructed flat with the teeth welded to the base metal and then rolled to the final shape.

i suppose that depens on the hole saw

HOLESAW.JPG

most are stamped on a deep draw die and then chucked into an automated sharping jig.

/ Can Hole Saws Be Sharpened? #5  
Yes, you can hand file with a triangular shaped file that either fits or is close. Setting the teeth will also be important after filing.

Take each tooth down evenly and remove enough to take the dull edge off each tooth point, as well as cleaning out the gullet and maintaining the same tooth angles. Might take more than one single pass to get it done.

A hand file will be easier to control than a dremel tool, IMO.

/ Can Hole Saws Be Sharpened? #6  
I have done it before with a hand file. the final result was not as good as new but worked well enough to get me through the job I was in the middle of.

/ Can Hole Saws Be Sharpened? #8  

Yep, most high end brands are done like that. If you look real closely at a Lenox BiMetal hole saw you can usually find where the ends are welded together...2 teeth will be close together or further apart..

/ Can Hole Saws Be Sharpened? #10  
When I ran my business I used to get my Lenox hole saws sharpened all the time. My men never took care of tools the way you do your own so they got abused. Any place that sharpens saws or chains should be able to do a good job. It's been 6 or 8 years since I had them done but they charged me $1.00 and inch. 4" saw=$4.00 and they painted them when they were done. Good as new.