8n wont start

/ 8n wont start #11  
G'day have you tried turning it over with the clutch disengaged? It is possible that something may have locked up in trans

Jon

/ 8n wont start #12  
It is really simple to get spark and not turn the engine. Spark is generated when the points open, so turn the switch on, and use a screw driver/plastic to open the points.

When you apply voltage to the coil, a field is built up in the primary, and when you open the points, the field collapse into the secondary, which generates the high voltage.

/ 8n wont start #13  
You are correct on getting spark as you indicated, but I do not think the OP did this. OP just needs to clarify a few things and this forum will help him get it running.

/ 8n wont start #14  
checking for spark is easy if it doesnt turn over take the dist cap off and with ignition turned on open the points with a screw driver they should snapif the points are in an open position roll it over by hand until they close and then try . have you tried rolling it over by hand , you have two diffrent issues here the loss of power and now wont crank over,you could take the starter off and bench test it with a set of booster cables to see if it runs or as one of the boys has already mentioned pull it to see if it starts the loss of power could also be incorrect point gap, more info i needed to get an accurate pic let us know how you make out

/ 8n wont start #15  
Th problem started with the tractor running, had nothing to do with starter, so the logical problem would be coil heating up, capacitor, sticking points, valves, fuel, etc. Now, the other problem pops up, no starter. The two are probably not related, but do check all the wiring connections. If a jumper battery, connected directly, does not start the starter, then you do have a starter problem.

/ 8n wont start #16  
I question whether the bat really is good or not.. no starter now.. no clicks... since the ignition runs on electrons.. a dead battery would account for a power loss.

a simple flash charge on the battery at no load on a volt meter doesn't mean the bat is good unless it can be tested under load. Under 4.5v on a 6v battery with starter engaged is not good.. double that for a 12v system.

original poster.

is this 6v or 12v

front or side distribuiter

key to start non oem solenoid, or oem thumb switch safety start button and oem 3 terminal solenoid?

what's bat voltage at coil primary with points open and closed?

have a resistor in line?

soundguy

/ 8n wont start #17  
I question whether the bat really is good or not.. no starter now.. no clicks... since the ignition runs on electrons.. a dead battery would account for a power loss.

a simple flash charge on the battery at no load on a volt meter doesn't mean the bat is good unless it can be tested under load. Under 4.5v on a 6v battery with starter engaged is not good.. double that for a 12v system.

original poster.

is this 6v or 12v

front or side distribuiter

key to start non oem solenoid, or oem thumb switch safety start button and oem 3 terminal solenoid?

what's bat voltage at coil primary with points open and closed?

have a resistor in line?

soundguy
I had a 51 8N and with a little wear on the ring gear they were famous for the starter locking up, they made very little sound when you hit the starter. To free it up I used to loosen the starter bolts and rock the tractor in high gear. As far as the engine loosing power -I would be looking at the condition of the points, water in the gas or the condition of the plug wires and the dist. cap, You didn't mention whether or not you were in the rain/snow when it was dying. The distributor isn't fully covered by the engine hood, so water drips off the hood right on to the dist. Good luck hope I was helpfull. Those tractors are fairly simple and easy to work on.
Elmer

/ 8n wont start #18  
Do you have the hand crank for it. There were many an 8N turned over with that when the battery was weak or it was cold out.:D