8n wont start

/ 8n wont start #1  

jrichards

i have a '52 8n tractor. last week while cleaning my drive way it started to loose power so i stepped on the clutch and it regained power, so i nursed it back to the garage. Now it wont start. when i hit the starter it doesn't make a sound just sets there. the battery is fully charged , fresh gas and oil , has spark. could it be the started soilonoid or something to that affect . any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

/ 8n wont start #2  
Check your battery connections, Pay special attention to the ground cable, and make sure the connection is clean, and tight to the battery and the frame of the tractor.
Battery connections need to be clean , tight and in good condition, for the current{high AMPS} to flow to the starter. Pacific pete

/ 8n wont start #3  
i have a '52 8n tractor. last week while cleaning my drive way it started to loose power so i stepped on the clutch and it regained power, so i nursed it back to the garage. Now it wont start. when i hit the starter it doesn't make a sound just sets there. the battery is fully charged , fresh gas and oil , has spark. could it be the started soilonoid or something to that affect . any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

if you have help have a tester and see if juice is coming yo the starter when you hit the starter

/ 8n wont start #4  
From what you explained (loosing power) it sounds to me like you may have more of a problem than just a starter. I would turn the ignition switch on, put the tractor in high gear, tow the tractor, and pop the clutch and see if that will start the tractor. The loosing power sounds like you may have some internal engine or fuel problems with the tractor. Let us know what you find.

/ 8n wont start #5  
I had a similar problem on our Jubilee over the summer. Turned out to be a coil that went bad. Was out mowing and just quit.

/ 8n wont start #6  
If starter won't turn over engine; how do you know you have spark? First; figure out why it won't turn over, cables, ignition switch, starter, etc. That would be problem # 1. Chek distributor for cracks, corrosion; check rotor; check points; check spark plugs, clean carb out. If it just lost power without backfiring, may be a dirty carb. Coil could be another problem.

/ 8n wont start #7  

I'm sorta confused if it dosen't turn over how did you get spark?

clean off all the terminals as others have suggested once you get it turnng over check for spark at a plug.
search 8n's ther has been a couple of threads on it.

tom

/ 8n wont start #8  
You will get some very good help here, but will need to know a bit more history than rec'd so far.
Past work done, general condition, other burps and findings, battery age, knowledge of the 8N....all will help.

For sure, sounds like the loss of power and "doesn't make a sound" are two different problems.
Charge up the battery, do the terminal cleaning, and get the starter working first. Can drain the fuel bowl, decide if it is getting fresh gas, and be ready to check out some basic things after the battery is fully charged.
Feed us some more info, pls. :)

/ 8n wont start #9  
Is it possible something in the engine let go and now it will not turn over due to it being locked up?

I am with the others in how you determined it has spark without it turning over?

Chris

/ 8n wont start #10  
G'day have you tried turnig it over with the clutch disengaged? It is possible that something may have locked up in trans

Jon