Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 8n wont start

i have a '52 8n tractor. last week while cleaning my drive way it started to loose power so i stepped on the clutch and it regained power, so i nursed it back to the garage. Now it wont start. when i hit the starter it doesn't make a sound just sets there. the battery is fully charged , fresh gas and oil , has spark. could it be the started soilonoid or something to that affect . any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Tractor
    Kubota B7100D

Default Re: 8n wont start

Check your battery connections, Pay special attention to the ground cable, and make sure the connection is clean, and tight to the battery and the frame of the tractor.
    Battery connections need to be clean , tight and in good condition, for the current{high AMPS} to flow to the starter. Pacific pete

Tractor
    and i just got a 580 c case backhoe real good shape got another kubota 2100 .. 2 - 684 IH 2 -8 N Ford had B275 IH MF # 50 work bull MF 35 all redone 65 mf 1750 kabota

Quote Originally Posted by jrichards View Post
    i have a '52 8n tractor. last week while cleaning my drive way it started to loose power so i stepped on the clutch and it regained power, so i nursed it back to the garage. Now it wont start. when i hit the starter it doesn't make a sound just sets there. the battery is fully charged , fresh gas and oil , has spark. could it be the started soilonoid or something to that affect . any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    if you have help have a tester and see if juice is coming yo the starter when you hit the starter

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra -------------

From what you explained (loosing power) it sounds to me like you may have more of a problem than just a starter. I would turn the ignition switch on, put the tractor in high gear, tow the tractor, and pop the clutch and see if that will start the tractor. The loosing power sounds like you may have some internal engine or fuel problems with the tractor. Let us know what you find.
    Galen LaWall
    Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
    185 Pearl Street
    Batavia, New York 14020

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2009 John Deere 3032e HST, 1953 Ford Jubilee, 1963 Fordson Super Major, John Deere 40, Huskee Lawn Tractor

I had a similar problem on our Jubilee over the summer. Turned out to be a coil that went bad. Was out mowing and just quit.
    09 John Deere 3032e

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    tc- 29d

If starter won't turn over engine; how do you know you have spark? First; figure out why it won't turn over, cables, ignition switch, starter, etc. That would be problem # 1. Chek distributor for cracks, corrosion; check rotor; check points; check spark plugs, clean carb out. If it just lost power without backfiring, may be a dirty carb. Coil could be another problem.
    dqdave1; tc-29D; woods 7500 bh; 7308 fel, land pride tiller, land pride rake, gill pulverizer, 60"mmm. , bucket forks , MZ16H

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

Quote Originally Posted by jrichards View Post

I'm sorta confused if it dosen't turn over how did you get spark?

clean off all the terminals as others have suggested once you get it turnng over check for spark at a plug.
    search 8n's ther has been a couple of threads on it.

tom
    If it ain't broke we will help you brake it
    If it is broke we will help you get it fixed!

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.t.mussington

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

You will get some very good help here, but will need to know a bit more history than rec'd so far.
    Past work done, general condition, other burps and findings, battery age, knowledge of the 8N....all will help.

For sure, sounds like the loss of power and "doesn't make a sound" are two different problems.
    Charge up the battery, do the terminal cleaning, and get the starter working first. Can drain the fuel bowl, decide if it is getting fresh gas, and be ready to check out some basic things after the battery is fully charged.
    Feed us some more info, pls.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Is it possible something in the engine let go and now it will not turn over due to it being locked up?

I am with the others in how you determined it has spark without it turning over?

Chris

G'day have you tried turnig it over with the clutch disengaged? It is possible that something may have locked up in trans

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast