John Deere 455 Alternator

/ John Deere 455 Alternator #1  

tractorworks

Silver Member
Tractor
B 2910 HSD, BX2200, Grasshopper 721DT6 and 725DT6
I have to replace alternator (magneto) and need to know how difficult it is to upgrade to 40 amp alternator (over 20 amp magneto.) The alternator is more readily available and therefor cheaper. Is there any reason not to go 40 amp and what is involved to change over?
Thanks
Doug

/ John Deere 455 Alternator #2  
If the regulator is solid state or circuit board then there should be no problems. Not sure on the mechanical regulator type , my guess is that it would wear faster regulating the higher capacity.
On the actual changeover, most alternators are built with different capacities and the same configuration ie wires and bolt holes etc. An auto parts store with a knowledgeable staff can tell you which one to get or given enough details such as the alternator model number someone on the network can tell you which alternator to get. Then it is an unbolt the old one and bolt the new one on. Should you start using the increase in power output, then you may need to upgrade portions of your tractor wiring, hard to say which ones without schematics.

/ John Deere 455 Alternator #4  
Meaning you switched to the 40 amp alternator?

/ John Deere 455 Alternator
No, I went with the dynamo (same thing I took off). I had seen alternators that looked like the same plug but kept hearing it wasn't a direct hookup because of the voltage regulator.