Kubota B7500 loss of power / won't start

/ Kubota B7500 loss of power / won't start #1  

gorsuchmill

Tractor
Kubota B7500
I have a B7500 that gets occasional weekend use. Anyway, for the last 6 months or so the tractor would run for a while, then lose power for 10-15 seconds before regaining power for a while, before losing power again. Though a nuisance, this problem was generally manageable and the tractor never stalled. I changed the fuel filter a couple of times, but the problem would inevitably return. Over this past weekend I was using the tractor to get firewood and the loss of power occurred, but this time the engine stalled. While sputtering I removed the fuel cap to see if there was a venting issue. This had no effect. Since the vehicle stlled I have been unable to get it started again.

Is there something obvious I should check, like a fuel tank filter/screen, fuel hoses, etc.? Any other areas I should look into?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

- Lee

/ Kubota B7500 loss of power / won't start #2  
Sounds like dirt somewhere in the lines.
Try blowing air backwards into the tank, might be crud blocking a screen (if one exists).
Also disconnect all lines and blow them clear.
Naturally that will require re-priming lines afterwards.

I'm sure it is something simple of that nature.

If you are in below freezing area might also be water or waxing that causes that problem.
Is the filter whiteish looking?

(enter your data, makes it easier to help out)

Also welcome to TBN.

/ Kubota B7500 loss of power / won't start #3  
Probably lack of fuel, or restricted fuel.

I have a B7100, that had similar conditions, during the winter. The cause was diesel which had jelled in the line before the filter.

To fix that I changed fliters, removed the tank and cleaned it out , and replaced the diesel with winter diesel. Here in British Columbia, SHELL makes an excellent Ultra Diesel, that I have been using for years.

If the tractor only gets occassional use, it may be worth replacing the diesel every year, during winter maintenance. Hope this helps and welcome to TractorBynet. Let us know what you find so we can all learn from your experience. Pacific Pete and the crew

/ Kubota B7500 loss of power / won't start
Thanks for the replies. The tank is approx. 3/4 full, but it has been cold here. I'll check the filter and test the lines to see what happens. I'll keep you posted as this process unfolds.

/ Kubota B7500 loss of power / won't start #5  
There could also be debris blocking the pick up in your fuel tank. If the fuel is old, I'd suggest it's worth draining down and looking in the fuel tank.
The intermittent aspect makes me suspect garbage in the tank.

Well I had a chance to look at my fuel filter last night and there was about 1/2" of water in the bottom of the bowl. I'm somewhat surprised where it came from because the filter is no more than 6 months old and the fuel was relatively fresh. Oh well, I drained off the water, pumped out much of the fuel in the tank and will replace it with fresh diesel. I also soaked the filter, which didn't appear to have any water in it, overnight in some Howe's Diesel Treat and will give it a go. I'm also going to pick up a replacement filter to have on hand. I live in Mryland and really need the tractor up and running tonight because we're expected to get 1'-2' of snow tomorrow through Sat.

Thanks for your help.

/ Kubota B7500 loss of power / won't start #7  
I'd pull the fuel line at the tank and see if there is a restriction in the fuel tap... diesels that get weak and then pick up and / or loose rpm almost always have a fuel problem, assuming you don't see a cloud of black smoke from the stack.

soundguy

I have a B7500 that gets occasional weekend use. Anyway, for the last 6 months or so the tractor would run for a while, then lose power for 10-15 seconds before regaining power for a while, before losing power again. Though a nuisance, this problem was generally manageable and the tractor never stalled. I changed the fuel filter a couple of times, but the problem would inevitably return. Over this past weekend I was using the tractor to get firewood and the loss of power occurred, but this time the engine stalled. While sputtering I removed the fuel cap to see if there was a venting issue. This had no effect. Since the vehicle stlled I have been unable to get it started again.

Is there something obvious I should check, like a fuel tank filter/screen, fuel hoses, etc.? Any other areas I should look into?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

- Lee

/ Kubota B7500 loss of power / won't start #8  
Well I had a chance to look at my fuel filter last night and there was about 1/2" of water in the bottom of the bowl. I'm somewhat surprised where it came from because the filter is no more than 6 months old and the fuel was relatively fresh. Oh well, I drained off the water, pumped out much of the fuel in the tank and will replace it with fresh diesel. I also soaked the filter, which didn't appear to have any water in it, overnight in some Howe's Diesel Treat and will give it a go. I'm also going to pick up a replacement filter to have on hand. I live in Mryland and really need the tractor up and running tonight because we're expected to get 1'-2' of snow tomorrow through Sat.

Thanks for your help.

Water will plug that filter......replace it and flush out the lines from the tank.

A 1/2" will get it in the filter, had that happen JUST ONCE from some FRESH fuel at local station.

I now look at it every use.

Thanks again for the responses. I soaked the filter overnight in Howes Diesel Treat, re-installed it last night and filled the tank with fresh fuel and it started right up. I used the tractor for about an hour moving firewood and it ran the entire time without any issues. I picked up a new filter this a.m. to have on hand if this happens again and will keep an eye on the filter bowl for signs of water.

You gotta love those easy, and cheap, repairs.

Bring on the snow.

/ Kubota B7500 loss of power / won't start #10  
What kind of Diesel are you using Off-Road or Premium? I started out using Off-Road and had problems in the winter also so I always added anti-gel treatment a hassle. The last 5-6 years I've been using Premium and had no trouble and the tractor smokes less and seems to run better in general IMO.