Kubota B7800 Power steering problem?

/ Kubota B7800 Power steering problem? #1  

jski

I've got a 2008 B7800 with less than 100 hours. I'm the second owner. I think that I may have a proiblem with the power steering. When I have a load in the bucket (even a pretty small one) and am on the driveway, it seems as if there is no power steering. I have to be moving in order to turn the wheel. The dealer says this is "normal" and that the tractor doesn't have "real power steering." My waranty runs out in a few months, so I am anxious. Help! I just got done fighting with them over pitted rams in the lift and curl cylinders and don't want to have to fight again if I am in the wrong.

/ Kubota B7800 Power steering problem? #2  
First thing to do is put more pressure in those front tires. I'd wager the low pressure we normally keep in the tires is allowing the sidewalls to collapse. That makes steering tough and you can actually roll the tires off the rims.
Let us know how increasing the pressure works. Go to close to the maximum pressure allowed (this will be marked on the sidewalls of the tires).

/ Kubota B7800 Power steering problem?
Does theload in the bucket do anything from a hydraulic standpoint to decrease the "quality" of the power steering? It seems to make little sense to have PS that essentially does not work when there is a load in the bucket. Isn't that what it is there to help with in the first place? If I am moving along, things are generally fine. Is the dealer trying to push things off until the warranty runs out this March?

/ Kubota B7800 Power steering problem? #4  
The hydraulic pump in your tractor has dedicated output for steering, so other hydraulic uses should not affect it.
Mike

/ Kubota B7800 Power steering problem? #5  
Does theload in the bucket do anything from a hydraulic standpoint to decrease the "quality" of the power steering? It seems to make little sense to have PS that essentially does not work when there is a load in the bucket. Isn't that what it is there to help with in the first place? If I am moving along, things are generally fine. Is the dealer trying to push things off until the warranty runs out this March?

If the load compresses the front tires (as it will do if the tires are ran at the lower pressures we normally operate at), the sidewalls collapse. It's like steering with two flat tires...that's essentially what you've got. Power steering won't help with that kind of friction.
So, the dealer probably isn't trying to push anything off.

ok. I guess my first line of defense is to pump up the r-4's until they are rock hard and then try it out again. Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

/ Kubota B7800 Power steering problem? #7  
I have a 2008 7800 with loader and have never noticed the steering ever get difficult, not counting the one time I had a wheel up against a rock and tried to turn into it.

FYI, my dealer set the front tires up with 32 pounds of pressure at delivery time with the loader on (and 12 lbs in the rears) and it's always been fine.

In general, the steering on my tractor is pretty effortless, unless the engine is off.

school farmer. What happens if you have some weight in the bucket and are in the driveway?

/ Kubota B7800 Power steering problem? #9  
Our drive is gravel, so not comparing apples, but I've not noticed any difficulties with the power steering on our 2002 B7800 when the bucket is loaded - on the drive or in the field.

/ Kubota B7800 Power steering problem? #10  
If the tires are up to par as indicated in above posts and you still have problems - something else must be wrong? The B3200 I had was effortless in its steering regardless of the load on the FEL and it is essentially a B7800 with a new suit on so no real difference and it worked just fine. Low on hydraulic fluid maybe? Let us know how what you find out.