welder comparision?please

/ welder comparision?please #11  
If you have a good scrap yard, it might pay to check in their copper bin. I've bought a lot of new heavy gauge wire there for pennies on the dollar of retail.

Dangit!! I should have thought of that a few hours ago. I was just at the scrap yard dumping off the remains of my old furnace. I should have looked in the copper pile for some wire.

I'm thinking about hitting up our forklift supply guy at work. I hope he can poach the cables off a defunct battery charger.

/ welder comparision?please #12  
....I do advise spending a little more and getting a machine that has DC even though I used AC for many years since I went to welding school back in the 50s.
Jim

Jim,
Why would you advise an AC/DC machine over just AC?
Dennis

/ welder comparision?please #13  
Jim,
Why would you advise an AC/DC machine over just AC?
Dennis
I've used many machines over the years. When I only had AC I only used AC. Now I find myself using DC more than AC as it allows me more of a selection pf electrodes for different types of jobs and a very stable arc. I just gave away my 230A AC machine to my son-in-law that served me well over the years. I still have my MIG Welder but I find myself using stick more. On some thin metal such as a crack inside a door panel I'll use my acetylene.
Whatever works,
Jim

/ welder comparision?please #14  
I've used many machines over the years. When I only had AC I only used AC. Now I find myself using DC more than AC as it allows me more of a selection pf electrodes for different types of jobs and a very stable arc. I just gave away my 230A AC machine to my son-in-law that served me well over the years. I still have my MIG Welder but I find myself using stick more. On some thin metal such as a crack inside a door panel I'll use my acetylene.
Whatever works,
Jim

Jim,
Thanks for the input. This is another great example of how the more I know the more I realize how little I know ;' > Now on the upward learning curve on welders.

Dennis

/ welder comparision?please #15  
My ac Tombstone was under water 2 days and it was at least 3 weeks or more before I was able to pull the skin off and clean the contacts. Working like a champ, now I need to clean the skin.

/ welder comparision?please #16  
My ac Tombstone was under water 2 days and it was at least 3 weeks or more before I was able to pull the skin off and clean the contacts. Working like a champ, now I need to clean the skin.

Gives "Underwater Welding" a new meaning.

/ welder comparision?please #17  
I've used a lincoln at work, and have a hobart at home. I don't mind the click/dial type of the lincoln.. but really do like the variable dial of the hobart. since hobart and miller are together.. it's really a hard call.. all are good welders.

soundguy