Bleeding Fuel Systems

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems #1  

Ozarker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
There has been some discussion about bleeding fuel systems after running out of fuel but I have seen no mention of the number one most important tool for that purpose....a tubing wrench.

For those who have never done it before, the tubing wrench is designed specifically for the nuts on the ends of fuel and brake lines. It is designed to make maximum contact with the flats of the nut to prevent rounding off that thin walled nut. An open end wrench doesn't make good enough contact with the flats of the nut and will round them off. Then you'll end up using vise-grips to get them off.

Get one the correct size for the nuts on your fuel lines and throw it in the tractor mounted tool box. That is where you will need it to be when you run out of fuel in the field.

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems #2  
Thanks for the good tip, Ozarker. I didn't know that.

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems #3  
Also known as a flare nut wrench.

Link at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1221778795.1028576108@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccieadcflgiedmgcehgcemgdffmdfin.0&vertical=SEARS&bidsite=&pid=00942013000> Sears </A>

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems #4  
I don't know about your tractors, but the Deere manuals are pretty specific about not bleeding the system. The injection pump is self bleeding.

I've bleed diesel systems when I replaced fuel filters on the old GM 6.2 liter truck engines, but there was a procedure for that.

Self bleeding systems shouldn't be touched, IMHO.

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems
You're absolutely correct. If your manual says not to bleed out to the injectors then you shouldn't do so. My Yanmar manual says to bleed to the injectors if it is run dry.

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems #6  
Yanmars are not that sophisticated and have to be bled. They also have a procedure for it.

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems #7  
They certainly are self-bleeding Norm. Some of the older ones may not be, heck none of them used to be, but the newer ones on all the lawnmowers and tractors are self bleeding.

Also I've never used one of the special wrenches for bleeding and have never stripped the head off. I'm not saying it's not a good idea by any means. It surely is. If there's a tool for it then if you want to buy it that is the best way to go. I'm just saying if you don't have it just be careful and don't twist so hard that you strip it off.

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems #8  
I'm planning on changing the fuel filter on my L48 this weekend as part of the 400 hour service. Am I going to need to bleed the system.

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems #9  
"I'm planning on changing the fuel filter on my L48 this weekend as part of the 400 hour service. Am I going to need to bleed the system."

What does your Operator Manual say?

/ Bleeding Fuel Systems #10  
Hi David

Not if your L48 is like my L35. I just did the same thing (400 hr service) this weekend. The fuel filter was in a small clear plastic cannister. There is a shut off valve above, but I found that some fuel flowed out of the housing even with the valve turned to the off position. I just hurried and switched out the paper filter element while the fuel dribbled. Made a mess, but after finishing the service, the tractor started first hit of the key.

HTH
Dave Perry aka karmakanic