Looking for an odd size bolt

/ Looking for an odd size bolt #1  

queen of spades

Silver Member
Anyone know where I can get this bolt:

7/16" hardened hex bolt (grade 8)
1 1/4" length

Important: I need 1/2" of the bolt shouldered. That's the hard part.. most shorter length hex bolts have threads all the way to the head. Have to have the 1/2 shoulder for the application.

(fwiw I've already been to ACE, box stores and a local Fastenal outlet)

/ Looking for an odd size bolt #2  
That is kind of an odd bolt. If I'm reading your post correctly, you need a bolt threaded to within 1/2" of the head and that 1/2 inch should be the shoulder...not a typical shoulder bolt.
You can try companies that specialize in fasteners (rather then a hardware store). Do an internet search for "Fasteners" and "Bolts" to find a company close to you. One that comes to mind is a company named Fastenal, but I have no idea if they have an outlet near you.
The other possibility is this is a bolt made specially for a particular application. If that's the case, you'll need to contact the manufacturer of the tool or equipment you need it for (example: if you're working on a 1970 John Deere tractor, you'd need to contact a Deere dealer to buy the replacement bolt).

/ Looking for an odd size bolt #3  
Can you cut back a longer bolt that has a shoulder?

I doubt anyone made a bolt special for that application. I'm sure the right supplier will have it for you. Ford/Dearborn was famous for using 7/16" bolts. Try a New Holand dealer.

/ Looking for an odd size bolt #4  
Why do you need 1/2" shouldered? Are you using them for a Tension or Shear type of clamp up. Most ready made Grade 8 short bolts are fully threaded unless you order them special order or from a machine shop and it will really cost you.
Jim

/ Looking for an odd size bolt #5  
Mcmaster Carr 91257A675
Closest I found 1 3/4 long have to buy 10 shoulder length is maybe
anyway take a look .

/ Looking for an odd size bolt
Can you cut back a longer bolt that has a shoulder

Not with 60 hardened fasteners.

I'll try this once..

The Italian tiller I bought (used, and with no model# anywhere) needed replacement tines. The closest I found was Caroli replacement tines. They have the same shape and hole alignment, but the holes are once size too small.

I tried drilling the holes larger with a carbide tipped bit and my 2hp drill press - barely scratched the surface.

So my only option is to put in 7/16" bolts. If I absolutely had to I could use non-shouldered bolts but that's not what came on it. I need to get as much metal-to-metal contact as these bolts will see a LOT of abuse.

/ Looking for an odd size bolt
Mcmaster Carr 91257A675
Closest I found 1 3/4 long have to buy 10 shoulder length is maybe
anyway take a look .

Good site... those will be a bit long.

/ Looking for an odd size bolt #8  
I've never had a problem shortening grade 60 bolts. Done it a number of times. I doubt that in that application it will make a difference but perhaps. Good luck

/ Looking for an odd size bolt #9  
I've never had a problem shortening grade 60 bolts. Done it a number of times. I doubt that in that application it will make a difference but perhaps. Good luck

Yea, a good cutoff blade in a small grinder will make short work of a grade 8 bolt.

/ Looking for an odd size bolt #10  
If the tiller is Italian, it's probably metric. Why don't you replace with the proper metric size? M12 is slightly larger than 7/16". McMaster-Carr sells the metric grade 10.9 in both fully threaded and partially threaded lengths.

1-1/4" ~ 31 mm McMaster # 98093A751 is 30 mm fully threaded
and 1-3/4" ~ 45 mm McMaster # 98093A766 is partially threaded

Cut-off the excess with a cut-off saw blade.