positive ground question

/ positive ground question #1  

rdbrumfield

Veteran Member
Tractor
5300 JD 4X4
I ordered a 12v kit for my Harry ferguson. Hung the alternator and was starting to do the wiring and notice the negative ground instructions.

Question, will the starter work. I figured it would want to turn backwards. Could someone enlighten me on this. As it is a pos ground tractor I don't want to go on with the change over if it will not work.

Thanks

/ positive ground question #2  
Starter is serial motor it will turn the correct way regardless polarity (Unless it has permanent magnets which I doubt it has). In fact it could run on AC too.

/ positive ground question #3  
Starter should turn the correct way. You'll nee new bulbs though:D. You'll also need some resistors if you have any guages(coolant, fuel, etc..)

/ positive ground question
Thank you. The resister and all came with the package so I am good to go then. A great sigh of relief.

/ positive ground question #5  
yep.. starter is fine.. just remember to make your new 12v battery negative ground, and as the others said.. new headlamp bulbs.. and any other lamps as well.

if that is a tx 20/30 machine.. loose that blasted ignition resistor and pop 15$ for a REAL native 12v coil.. NAPA IC14SB.. save the resistor and the old 6v coil as a backup...

soundguy

/ positive ground question #7  
don't make the mistake i have seen some people try to do: discharge their battery an charge it back up backwards??? not sure what they were thinking, but they were convinced that had to be done to change from pos ground to neg ground. the hardest thing i have encountered in the half dozen times i have changed a tractor, is mounting the alternator. there are shops out there, i think you can find them in hemmings motor news, that can take the existing generator an convert it to a 12v alternator.
heehaw

/ positive ground question
Not a problem mounting the alternator. The kit came with all the wiring and mounting bracket for it.

Just glad the starter will work with the change of polarity.

I made the mistake of leaving home for a couple of weeks and my wife wanted to do some mowing. The battery was low, so she said, don't think she was used to the slow turning of a 6v system. She took out he battery and charged it. the nephew came by and put it back in, backwards of course. She told me that he had put it back in and it was shot. Asked her to take a look and that it is supposed to be hooked up backwards. I am leaving for Ak next week. Both my tractors are going to be missing keys, the loader taken off the JD and loaded on my flatbed and locked in the shop.

I don't want to print what I will do if ----=--- oh well!!

/ positive ground question #9  
Asked her to take a look and that it is supposed to be hooked up backwards. !!

Since it is positive ground.. it's not backwards for that oem application.

It's that kind of thinking that propogates the confusion over grounds and polarities...

soundguy