Default international 284

i have a 1982 international 284 tractor with a bad 4cyl mazda engine. i need to find a replacement engine that will bolt into the frame with (some fabrication if necessary ) and will match up to the input shaft of the transmission. any ideas?

Default Re: international 284

I'm not sure about this, but the 1979 to 1985 Mazda RX-7 may have used the 1.2 liter engine, then you will have to find out if it's the same as your tractor engine. TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors says your tractor used either the Mazda 4 cylinder 1.2 liter, or the Nissan three cylinder 1.6 liter. If the passenger car engine is the same you might be able to find a bolt in replacement engine at MyPartShop.com - Used Car Part Search from Hollander a Solera Company Or you may be able to fool the automotive parts stores and tell them which Mazda car you have and rebuild the engine. Also, you may also be able to find an engine at Used Auto Parts || Used Car Parts || Junk Yard DogŪ

Tractor
    IHC B.F.Avery-M Harris,JD,Allis Chalmers

I also have a IHC 284 gas tractor that I bought new in 78' or 79'.My oil light came on and the engine started knocking.Waiting for the mechanic to come after tractor.Question- Is there any where I can order parts.Hopefully the enging can be rebuilt.Won't know what parts until the engine is opened up. Where on engine block would engine number be stamped. Thanks Bob Evans, Hartselle Al.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case 1210, Mitsubishi D2050

If I remember right, the 284 used either a 3 cylinder diesel Nissan engine, or a 4 cylinder Mazda gas engine. You will have to decide what it is, but most of those engines have a model number cast on the side or stamped in the rear of the block near the bellhousing.

Tractor
    IHC B.F.Avery-M Harris,JD,Allis Chalmers

Thomas I forgot to say it is a 4 cyl. gas.I think the number on the valve cover is M 71 G . I will check tomorrow.The tractor is in a part of the shop that does not have lights. Thanks for any help on this.Hoping the mechanic can get to it soon.I would like to know if the engine can be rebuilt or not. Bob