Broken Grease Fitting

/ Broken Grease Fitting #1  

Bill_Ryan

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC35D
Digging out large rocks with my Woods 9000 backhoe today and I noticed I snapped off a grease fitting on one of the stabilizer arms near the foot. It's a straight fitting (not elbow). The equivalent one on the other stabilizer arm looks like it simply screws in (it has a hexagon shape below the nipple). I looked in the Woods 9000 manual and it said the part was "non-serviceable". Anyone ever replace one before? I need to back out the piece left in there first and need to know if it's pressure fitted our threaded...

Thanks,
Bill

/ Broken Grease Fitting #2  
Bill
I would guess it is threaded and can be unscrewed with an e-z out. I have never seen or heard of a press fitted zerk fitting. There can be quite a bit of pressure exerted into them resulting in a pressed fitting popping out. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Broken Grease Fitting #4  
If it's a beat in (press fit ) you can get it out by using a tap to thread it, screw a bolt into it and then use a slide hammer to pull it out. You can also run the bolt all the way through and push it out by tightening the bolt but with the little bolt you'll have to use you'd stand a chance of it breaking before the zerk popped out.

/ Broken Grease Fitting #5  
I would remove the zerk from the other side just to see if it is a screw in type and then take it to any Auto parts place for a replacement. If it is indeed a screw in type you can buy an 'ez-out' extractor. They are usually designed so that they have threads that are backwards. So that when you are turning the extractor counter clockwise to remove the fitting the extractor threads are screwing themselves in to the fitting. Since the 'EZ-out' is tapered you quickly reach a point where the 'ez-out' wont screw anymove into the fitting and the fitting will turn counter clockwise and extract the fitting by unscrewing it. Hope I have explained it properly, so that it makes sense. You can usually puchase these as a set of 4 for different sized jobs. Jason

/ Broken Grease Fitting #6  
The easiest way for me to take broken press in zerts is to grind or cut the zert level with the tube. Then take the pin out and drive the remainder of the zert out the back in to the tube.

/ Broken Grease Fitting
Thanks everyone. I have an EZ-out set already so I'm all set getting the old one out. Based on the one on the opposite side, it is threaded (should make the job easier).

Bill

/ Broken Grease Fitting #8  
I didn't know about press in zerks. I learned something (again) here on TNB. Now, if I can only remember it ...! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Broken Grease Fitting #9  
I noticed yesterday Tractor Supply Company has a complete kit with many shapes and sizes. But my wife makes me take a pledge before she'll let me leave the house to go to TSC... something about only buying what I went there for, blah-blah-blah. I can't remember a single time I ever went there and spent more than a couple of hundred dollars above the price of that hinge pin I went to get /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif .

/ Broken Grease Fitting #10  
I knew about the pressesd in ones.. but how about this.. I found 2 welded in ones on my 3pt broadcast spreader... how cheap!

Soundguy

<font color=red>I didn't know about press in zerks. I learned something (again) here on TNB. Now, if I can only remember it ...!