How to paint Bobcat skid steer question.

/ How to paint Bobcat skid steer question. #1  

denver 2

Tractor
Kubota L3130, JD GX345
I have a 1999 773G skid steer that needs touching up with paint and I really do not want to spend a thousand dollars by having a professional do it for me. I'm not equipped to spray paint the unit with a gun, nor do I want to inhale all that toxic nasty stuff you read about here in the various threads on painting equipment. Is there a brush or roller method that will do a decent job.The whole unit does not need painting, only certain areas that paint has chipped away. I know I need to prep by cleaning, wire brushing and the like but I could use some advice on what products you can use indoors (heated garage) that are not harmful and can be easily applied. I have included a picture of the unit I wish to touch up. Thanks.

Attachments

• B733 001.jpg
    B733 001.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 20,193
   / How to paint Bobcat skid steer question. #2  
I'm not equipped to spray paint the unit with a gun, nor do I want to inhale all that toxic nasty stuff you read about here in the various threads on painting equipment.

Buy a respirator. By not having the equipment do you not have a compressor or spray gun? Even a cheap harbor freight gun is better than cans. If not an option buy spray cans.

Is there a brush or roller method that will do a decent job.

You can always roll on the paint. Rollers and brushes always leave lines or texture behind that the rest wouldn't have. I personally wouldn't do it because of resale/aesthetic issues. But if its something that you will keep for a long time and just want to protect it from rust... it would work

/ How to paint Bobcat skid steer question. #3  
Hey denver 2
Welcome to TBN:)
This may sound too simple,but as you stated if you don't want to get too involved.......just brush it on:) Get a pint or quart of primer and paint,prep the rusted areas and touch 'er up.

Greg

/ How to paint Bobcat skid steer question. #4  
The guys at work just touched up their Bobcat a few months ago. The theshold (area you step on to get inside) was heavily rusted. They used a grinder and wire brush to get it cleaned up then coated it with POR rust converter. Other areas such as wheels, back door, loader arms etc. were sanded down (loose paint was flaking off) and also primed with POR. Then they painted it all with a brush and a rust preventive paint such as Rustoleum. Its not a professional paint job but looks like a new unit from 20ft.

/ How to paint Bobcat skid steer question.
Buy a respirator. By not having the equipment do you not have a compressor or spray gun? Even a cheap harbor freight gun is better than cans. If not an option buy spray cans.

You can always roll on the paint. Rollers and brushes always leave lines or texture behind that the rest wouldn't have. I personally wouldn't do it because of resale/aesthetic issues. But if its something that you will keep for a long time and just want to protect it from rust... it would work

I have a compressor but not a spray gun and have never used one. Also because of winter I need to paint in my garage which will not be ventilated. Mainly I want to cover the rust spots where the paint has chipped away and the cab roof which has faded to rusty brown. I guess I can use paint spray cans for the orange rear door on a warm day outside.

/ How to paint Bobcat skid steer question. #6  
Have you checked with Bobcat for some matching rattle cans?

Had a neighbor who painted a car with brush and roller; funky funky funky!

You might check you local paint/body supply shop. Some can match a color and put it in a rattle can for you. There is one here in Placerville that does that.

I would sand out the rust, and fade the sanding in to the good paint. Rustoleum primer, the then rattle can it.

I have a compressor but not a spray gun and have never used one. Also because of winter I need to paint in my garage which will not be ventilated. Mainly I want to cover the rust spots where the paint has chipped away and the cab roof which has faded to rusty brown. I guess I can use paint spray cans for the orange rear door on a warm day outside.

Have you checked with Bobcat for some matching rattle cans?

Had a neighbor who painted a car with brush and roller; funky funky funky!

You might check you local paint/body supply shop. Some can match a color and put it in a rattle can for you. There is one here in Placerville that does that.

I would sand out the rust, and fade the sanding in to the good paint. Rustoleum primer, the then rattle can it.

RobertN,
I'll check on Monday and see what the dealer has in way of paint spray cans.
From the feedback so far I guess I should ditch the idea of brush and roller. I just bought some cup wire brushes for my grinder and wire brushes for my drill to start prep work tomorrow. I guess I need to make sure Bobcat's finish paint will work okay with Rustoleum primer. I also bought a respirator to wear just in case.

/ How to paint Bobcat skid steer question. #8  
Check your local VoTech center; they might be teaching students to do painting and might do your work for free as a project for their students to work on. Otherwise if you carefully prep the areas that need paint you can mask off those that don't want overspray, and holding the can parallel to the surface to be sprayed and moving back and forth, (without arcing the ends of your spray line) get a fairly decent job with several overlapping coats of a good quality or OEM paint.

Check your local VoTech center; they might be teaching students to do painting and might do your work for free as a project for their students to work on. Otherwise if you carefully prep the areas that need paint you can mask off those that don't want overspray, and holding the can parallel to the surface to be sprayed and moving back and forth, (without arcing the ends of your spray line) get a fairly decent job with several overlapping coats of a good quality or OEM paint.

Thanks for the tips on spraying. I checked Bobcat's site and their paint sprays are OEM paint.

/ How to paint Bobcat skid steer question. #10  
I have touched up 2 different Bobcat skidloaders. Wash and clean any grease and oil off well. In the rusty areas, use a wire brush on an angle grinder to get clean metal. Put on a coat of primer. I then used rattle cans from Bobcat. Your skid steer paint appears to be in good condition and I have touched up similar skid steers. The rattle cans are a little expensive from Bobcat but the paint matches well and 1-2 cans will cover quite a bit of steel. On areas like the orange tailgate, it is often easier to paint the entire door than just do a touch up to match the color better. The white will match better. Use a piece of cardboard behind where you are painting to reduce over spray and tape off hydraulic lines ect to prevent over spray. It is not too difficult to make the paint look really good compared to most used skid steers.

If you want to make it really look good, decals can also be ordered from Bobcat. They are not very expensive and can be put on after painting an area. It really makes the machine look nice. You can also but sheets of the tread adhesive from Bobcat, cut to size and replace those as well.

I bought my prior used 873 Bobcat for $15K and traded it in for $18K after using it for 3 years. I painted it after I bought it and used it for 3 years. When I sold it, it looked much better than when I purchased it.