Deere 790 Wheels/Centers

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers #1  

Bamatonz

Long time lurker, first post.

I've been looking everywhere for some 11.2x24 / 10x24 rims for my 790 (I need to convert from turf tires to ag,) but come to find out they are hard to come by. I understand that the 770, and 3005 have the same bolt pattern/pilot hole, but I have had no luck there either. Does anyone know if the 850 has the same pattern, I have had luck finding these, but I am receiving conflicting info. as to if they will work. I would like to find out before I drive several hours to find out they do not. New ones are not an option as they are more than $400 each.

Thanks for the help!

--Kevin

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers #2  
By this time, I'm sure you've checked as many tractor salvage yards as you can find on the internet...if you haven't, spend a few hours on the 'net and telephone.
Unfortunately, unless you can find someone who has ags and want turfs to swap, it's not going to be cheap. Also, most 790's I've seen had turfs or industrials on them.
Sorry I can't be more help...

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers #3  
You may want to post a "swap add" in the classified's here on TBN. Never know....maybe somebody wants their ag tires for your turfs....rims, tires and all??

(not me.....I need all the traction I can get) :D

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers #4  
I would love a set of ag's too!! My R4's just don't cut it too well trying to pull a 7 shank chisel plow with unloaded tires.

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers #5  
I have a 790 and just thought they were one of the standard Japanese bolt patterns and that other "brands" would work.. My guess is the centers (of 2 piece ag wheels/centers) are the same as Kubota or others and that the wheels themselves were standard 24" rims available anywhere for maybe $100 each. In fact, I have a set of 24" wheels --no centers--in the barn that came off the front of a larger Kubota front FWD. I have done numerous swaps over the years and planned to use these on some CUT rear in the future. I could be wrong and could measure against my Kubotas in the barn if you wanted.

My guess is the center bolt patterm and center hub hole will be similar to many models and makes. There are wheel guys that make centers that could be found on the web and might even advertise on this site. You could maybe find the wheels local and buy the centers mail order. Type wheel makers in Google. This should be easy but know your bolt circle and hole sizes before you call. If actually different or unique, the wheel guys could stamp out a set pretty quick. I have had this done before and not as expensive as you would think. If you do need unique centers, buy them and scrounge the wheels local to you. As well, there surely has to be bonyards with junk 790's. Check yards in northern Ohio for starters. They made a lot of them and JD keeps things pretty interchangable between models.
Let us know how you make out.

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers #6  
I have a 790 and just thought they were one of the standard Japanese bolt patterns and that other "brands" would work.. My guess is the centers (of 2 piece ag wheels/centers) are the same as Kubota or others and that the wheels themselves were standard 24" rims available anywhere for maybe $100 each...

Only concern I see is ensuring the proper ratio between fronts and rears is maintained, if the tractor is MFWD.

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers #7  
Only concern I see is ensuring the proper ratio between fronts and rears is maintained, if the tractor is MFWD.

Oops---- excellent point and sorry to forget. Thank you RJ.
There is a "ratio" of front to rear tire diameters that must be maintained. Tire shops know this number and you should double check. Usually the front to rear circumference is such that the friont tires "pull" the rear when in 4WD. Get it wrong and you chew up your front axle gearbox. I can't recall but I think a 3% to 5% difference in circumferance works.

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers
Well, I finally made it back (new job.) I finally found some centers at a salvage yard and hopefully will be able to pick them up soon. Thanks for all of the help, hopefuly I can bet back here a lil more now that I have gotten setteled in at the workplace!

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers #9  
Hey Kevin, My name is Matt Page. I have a 2000 John Deere 790 that has the rear rims on it that you are looking for. I am trying to buy a new set of rims and tires now so I can put R4 tires on my tractor. I need 15X19.5 tires and 19.5X12.25 rims. Maybe we can do some trading.
Email me back or give me a call...574-870-4529
Thanks, Matt

/ Deere 790 Wheels/Centers #10  
Hey Kevin, My name is Matt Page. I have a 2000 John Deere 790 that has the rear rims on it that you are looking for. I am trying to buy a new set of rims and tires now so I can put R4 tires on my tractor. I need 15X19.5 tires and 19.5X12.25 rims. Maybe we can do some trading.
Email me back or give me a call...574-870-4529
Thanks, Matt

You might want to try sending a private message...this thread is 3 years old.
(don't be embarrassed...people do this all the time)

As far as the rims and tires...you shouldn't have too much problem finding them as R-4's were frequently used on 790's. As I had suggested to the OP of this thread, try salvage yards.