Why so many air couplers? Which is better?

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better? #1  

Denwa

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B20
Just ran into one of those situations where I *THOUGH* I knew enough.
I borrowed an impact wrench and the couplers would not. I did a bit of looking at options on air coupler fittings and found at least 7 different references.
There's Milton types G,L,M,P and V, and another site listed just Automotive or Industrial. Dang.... Should be simpler, no?

So, other than making sure the male and female coupler are the same desikgn,
what prey tell are the pro's or con's of any of the offerings.

Thanks,
Dennis

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better? #2  
Welcome to my world. Why is one year chevy motor uses filter A and the next year they use filter B? Its crazy.

Chris

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better? #3  
Checkout these pages and the ZIP Below McMaster-Carr [click the first pic] & Coupling Shape Benefit Comparison Chart.

I'm in Maintenance in a Brick Plant and I'll tell ya every time I think I've seen them all another comes along. The manufactures need a standard to follow like electrical manufactures do.

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better? #4  
Hey Denwa

I didn't see your restoration project on the 110 til i looked again. I have a 112 Hydro Lift I'd like to get rid of. I started to restore and used for a couple of years but had back trouble and quit using it. Intersted? I have pictures if intersted

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better?
Checkout these pages and the ZIP Below McMaster-Carr [click the first pic] & Coupling Shape Benefit Comparison Chart.

Mr Blue1,
Great links, thanks. Guess this shows that it's all kind of arbitrary, with the manufacturers making a bunch of differing connectors just for the marketing fun of it. However, the most common "standard" fitting seems to "industrial",
good for air or water. If one ends up borrowing a tool with a misfitting connector it's easy enough to switch out the fittings temporarily.

Over and out,
Dennis from WA

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better?
Hey Denwa

I didn't see your restoration project on the 110 til i looked again. I have a 112 Hydro Lift I'd like to get rid of. I started to restore and used for a couple of years but had back trouble and quit using it. Intersted? I have pictures if intersted

I googled the 112 and saw one on offer on Craig's list from M'Burg WV. That yours? I'd say it's a bit far for the shipping thing and all, but thanks for asking ;' >
One restoration project at a time's plenty for me, and I've got several already.

Dennis

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better? #7  
it's easy enough to switch out the fittings temporarily

Yep, when I was repairing mechanics' air tools, it wasn't unusual for me to do that. And sometimes so of the couplers look much alike but won't work.

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better? #8  
Just go buy a cheap matching set at HF and they should at least work with the pieces you get in the set.

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better? #9  
I googled the 112 and saw one on offer on Craig's list from M'Burg WV. That yours? I'd say it's a bit far for the shipping thing and all, but thanks for asking ;' >
One restoration project at a time's plenty for me, and I've got several already.

Dennis

Yea that's it. No prob but it never hurts to ask. Got some pics of the 110 you can post

/ Why so many air couplers? Which is better? #10  
Just go buy a cheap matching set at HF and they should at least work with the pieces you get in the set.

I've found that the cheap HF ones work with other cheap HF ones. If I use nicer couplers from the hardware store with the cheap HF ones I get leaks. Nice to nice works fine.

I keep the cheap HF couplers around so that I'm not too put out when the hose end gets dinged up from a drop on the concrete. With an assortment of HF cheapies around I just throw the old one out and thread a new one on.