Page 10 of 80 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere L130 2004

Default Re: TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

Thanks to LotsofGreenGrass for this Repair Procedure. I have a L130 John Deere 2004, and my K46 Transaxle has S__T the Bed! This article will help me rebuild my unit to get it going again. Thanks for posting the phone # to tuff torq as well, very helpfull.

Tractor
    John Deere X300

Lotsofgrass - love your post, I have a Deere X300 with only 30 hours on it. My previous tractor had a Peerless hydro that went bad after 12 years, but had the same problems as your TT K46. Peerless wouldn't sell replacement parts!! I'd like to change the oil and it looks like an easy job to remove and flip over - my old one took 2 hours
    Since you removed the K46 to rebuild, what would it be like to just remove the bottom cover and replace it with a bottom cover which has the drain plug feature. I assume TT would sell that piece. I could just drill and tap the old one but if the new cover wasn't too much $$ it would be a better route.
    Looking forward to doing a rebuild in about 10 years

Tractor
    Kubota L235

Thumbs up for this excellent guide.

My LA130 is was just over the 3 year warranty period, with less than 70 hours. Had a steep hill I mowed during that time and it just killed the trans. Ordered the parts you recommended to set up for the rebuild. Once I opened up the case I realized all but the diff gears were worn/gouged a bit, so I decided to order and replace the gears for only another 70 bucks or so. Still under $300 all said and done. Which is nice as the extra cash now needs to go toward replacing a bush hog that a tree decided to fall on during yesterday's storm

Took my time doing this first rebuild, but it was simple enough that I will likely change oil on occasion to hopefully extend the life of the unit.

I'm happy to report similar results to the other folks, she seems to run stronger than ever. Thanks for the well done guide and to everyone that chimed in with helpful comments. I can't remember when my first post in a new forum was a good one rather than a frantic question.

Tractor
    John Deere L120

Hey guys first post here!! Awesome walk through on the rebuild lotsofgreengrass. Just called TT and derrick said that I needed the center case as well? How many of you guys actually used it ??

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 1070

I got my tranny out tonight after I got done with work. Will get it cleaned up tomorrow. One question I have is about the "24A 1A646099240 CENTER CASE W/FILTER SERV. KIT" for $137.38 Is this an upgrade over the old set-up?

I see that LotsofGreenGrass didn't buy the filter service kit but a couple other guys were told by TT that it was needed. Just concerned as the kit is quite a bit more money.

Thanks

Tractor
    John Deere L120

WSP617 I was told the same thing but I didn't order it!! I ordered the other stuff today. How is everyones rebuild holding up?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 1070

Quote Originally Posted by longbeard27030 View Post
    WSP617 I was told the same thing but I didn't order it!! I ordered the other stuff today. How is everyones rebuild holding up?
    My tractor has less than 100 hours and actually still works. However, it has that "power steering pump whine" as soon as it moves. My biggest reason for the repair is I am unable to mow 1 acre (hilly terrain) without stopping and letting the tractor cool down. This is usually after about 20 minutes. I spray the tranny from underneath with a garden hose to help cool it down.

Tractor
    John Deere L130

I have a John Deere L130. It would quit driving after mowing a short while. I have been on the phone with Tuff Torq, great guys. I have been trying to find out how to improve my rebuild, if I am going to do this I am going to do it better. I spoke with an engineer from TT, Duane, he has put K57 parts into the K47. This adds a charge pump that he says will make my hydro last longer. This is done by him personally, not Tuff Torq, I had also requested how to help keep this thing cooler, heat kills it. No real good solution found yet though. I had not thought of adding a drain plug before reading this site, I will be doing that to help change oil. I know I have abused my mower thatching, plowing snow, and mowing my 4 acres. I want it to last as long as it can after rebuilding. I will be ordering parts tomorrow and installing as soon as I get them. I am anxious to see I can tell a difference having the K57 parts in it. Cost for parts should be $315.96, and I may opt for a few more parts. When I took mine apart there was notable scoring on the machined surfaces of the center housing and pump/motor. If you want a copy of the parts list for the upgrade let me know. Awesome Forum.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Case 530CK

Hi guys;
    FYI, my John Deere is still running fine after the $25 repair (see my previous post)
    Cheers

Tractor
    jdellostritto@yahoo.com

First thanks to LotsofGreenGrass and everyone else for contributing.

I have an 02 john deere and have been fighting with it for two years now. I hate spending money and just rebuilt my deck and replaced the gas tank (in all it has been a great machine). The darn thing wouldn't climb a hill after 15 minutes of operation. I had to do the barney rubble with one of my legs to get it to move. I look like a moron according to my wife. Anyway I just ordered the parts for my K46V and am looking forward to the rebuild. The unit is out of the tractor with no problems as I have replaced the oil (drive) twice in the last year and half and pulled it to do it.

I used the Turf Torq Website shopping cart to order the parts.

1.)
    I went to Turf Torq website and created an account. You can log in an view the parts you need, add them to the shopping cart, and have them shipped. It's not amazon shopping but it seems to work. You can also look at your order. I forgot to add the filter then called the folks at Turf Torq and they added it for me (thanks Pam). If you forget to add a part you can't add after the fact so make sure you all your parts are in the shopping cart.

2.)
    Thanks to LotsofGreenGrass I found the Cylinder Block Pump Kit and the Cylinder Block Motor kit in the parts list. I also destroyed my vent valve and the sealing cap (more on this later). I thought I would list the parts in case someone goes the same route with the k46V:

#7 Vent Valve:168T2024000
    #15 Sealing Cap: 1C655036300
    #31 Cylinder Block (pump) kit: 168T2025090
    #38 Cylinder Block (motor) kit: 168T2025080
    #36 Filter105: 168T2025220
    5W50 SYNTHETIC OIL: 1115

You can also get sealant (#99: 1A646099500) if needed. I am going to the same sealant LotsofGreenGrass used.

After pulling the unit out I pulled the sealing cap because it had a crack in it. It is located under the fan. It is rubber and about 1 inch in diameter (see the diagram at turf torq). Using a screw driver I carefully pried it off to find the magnet under it. The opening is far larger than the stupid vent cap. When I drained and refilled the oil in the past all I had was that stupid tiny vent cap. I think using the sealing cap will help fill it a lot faster and allow you to clean off the magnet.

Someone may have mentioned this already.
    I am also curious about the recommended 24a part that TT seems to be pushing for $140.
    I am not going to get it as it seems others have been pleased with the original suggestion by TT.

I'll probably video the procedure and put it on youtube. It will probably be rated R... some foul language will likely find it's way in.
    Wish me luck.
    Last edited by GixxersRevolt; 04-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Page 10 of 80 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060 ... LastLast