Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere X475

Default Re: TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

Well I removed the housing tonight in center of trans.(3 bolts) I started to remove the big gear cluster then decided not. I tipped the trans forward then secured it there and began flushing out with brake cleaner. Most of oil and cleaner went out fill hole. The rest I soaked up with paper towels. I then turned down my compressor and started blowing evrything clear and dry. Tipped tranny carefully from side to side, front to back in the process. BTW, I have a lot of slop in the big gear cluster, is this normal? I use to pull a 1600lb. roller with this mower. Geras all looked good besides some very minor pitting on the smaller gears in front of the big gear.

Tractor
    jdellostritto@yahoo.com

2manytoyz,
    Mine also seemed loose. I think it may be due to the fact that the cover is off. I've only mowed lawn with mine. I did the rebuild and have it posted on youtube.

If any one who watches that has already successfully rebuilt and sees anything wrong please let me know.
    I am going to reinstall and hope for the best.

YouTube - Part 2 - K46 Rebuild

Tractor
    jdellostritto@yahoo.com

It worked! Thanks to this post I am officially mowing.

The Hydro is powerful again and it's very quiet. Before it would wine terrible.

At first it did nothing when i fired the engine up and I was really nervous. I then read directions for priming the drive and I was off to the races!

Thanks again!

Tractor
    countax C600H

Many thanks for video. May I have a question? Does tractor have a same pomer (torque) in both directions (forward and reverse)? My tractor, when I go reverse to the hill after 2-3 meters it lose the torque, but in forward directions it doesn't have any problem.
    Thanks.

This is clearly the best thread anywhere on how to perform this repair !

So I'm about to undertake the job and was just wondering ... one thing about this transmission that annoys me is that there is no drain plug on the unit. Since the unit will be apart, has anyone ever drilled and tapped a hole for a drain plug ?

Mike

Tractor
    JD L120

I returned my K46 to a fellow at the Tuff Torq factory to have it upgraded to the heavy duty K57. It cost much less than a new K57 or a rebuilt K46.

Tractor
    JD 214 / JD 155C

Quote Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
    This is clearly the best thread anywhere on how to perform this repair !

So I'm about to undertake the job and was just wondering ... one thing about this transmission that annoys me is that there is no drain plug on the unit. Since the unit will be apart, has anyone ever drilled and tapped a hole for a drain plug ?

Mike
    You would have to drill and tap a fill plug too then right?

Tractor
    JD 214 / JD 155C

I got my JD 155C used with 89.4 hrs on it. I bought it thinking its good to go with that little hours on it. Test drove it before I bought it and it seemed ok. Got home and drove it 20min and it starts slipping. I found this thread and ordered some parts. I have them on order now. I took the tranny apart tonight to find I will need more parts. Someone has had it apart before. And assembled it wrong and messed up a few things. Now there are metal bits in there that have got into the bearings. So most of them need to be replaced. Also the final reduction gear and pinion shaft are shot. Someone installed them wrong and they wore on one side more leaving play and bits of metal have been scrapped off the shaft and inside of the gear. Also they smashed the filter on one side and that left an opening for the metal bits to go through it.

Tractor
    JD L118

Thanks LOGG!!! just "Rebuilt" my K46 last night and the tractor is running better than ever.

One question though: The tranny still whines a bit (although seems to be getting better over time). Is that normal?

The thing pulls like it never has for me (I bought it last year and it already had "the problem").

Thanks again for this awesome tutorial...

Thanks as well to GixxersRevolt for the Youtube video... this helped alot too.

- sean

Tractor
    JD 155c

Thank you LotsofGreenGrass for the K46 repair guide. I have a question about the little rod that slips out from the motor cylinder, as mine did, but did not see where it came out from but looks like the very end of the shaft that seats in the transmission case housing? Not sure but do not want to reassemble until I am sure. Does it sit at that bottom in the cavity below the shaft?
    Thanks!
    JWolf634

Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast