Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere X300

Default Re: TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

From a post a little while back - there is a video on the rebuild and shows the rod position see link below
    YouTube - Part 2 - K46 Rebuild

Tractor
    JD 955, Economy Power King

I had to replace one in a customers last year. Found a new one online for 500.00 which included shipping. My question; I have a small repair shop. What would you guys that have done this job, think would be a fair price to pay to have the repair done? My fear in doing that repair is not knowing for sure if the parts that I replaced would make the transaxle perform as new.
    Ron

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere L110 and Mahindra 2816 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by eshann66 View Post
    Thanks to LotsofGreenGrass for this Repair Procedure. I have a L130 John deere 2004, and my K46 Transaxle has S__T the Bed! This article will help me rebuild my unit to get it going again. Thanks for posting the phone # to tuff torq as well, very helpfull.
    No problem : )

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere L110 and Mahindra 2816 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by gtunney View Post
    Hi Yellow. Like you, I didn't have the time to do the rebuild myself. I considered replacing the tranny with a new unit as your wife is suggesting, but I found out about the rebuild options and then about Duane Deardorff at Tuff Torq doing the rebuild on the side for customers.

Essentially he installs the T46 rebuild kit you can buy from Tuff Torq ($374) and if you desire, adds a T57 upgrade kit. The basic rebuild was $475.00. The T57 upgrade added $89.00. They can send you a pre-configured shipping box for an additional $13, which I used. That comes to $577. That does not include the cost of shipping the unit down to them, but it does include UPS ground return shipping. These were prices Duane quoted me in December, so I don't know if the fuel increases have changed his prices since then. A generic new K57 on the Tuff Torq site lists between $800 and $900 (not sure how it is configured), and a Simplicity spec'd K57 is $1018. If you read the Tuff Torq literature, the K57 is the same basic unit as the T46 just enhanced for additional durability and rated for a larger set of tires. You get an oil drain port and a charge pump for starters - not found in the T46.

I figured the additional upgrade cost and $100 for letting someone else do the work of installing the rebuild kit were worth it especially when compared to the price of a new build K57. A new K46 goes for over $600 and it is still a K46. I figured letting someone do the work to upgrade me to a K57 for about the same amount as a new K46 was worth the investment. Of course, if you have the time, you save a bunch doing it yourself.

Here's a link to show the work Duane did for me. The one item not normally included is the bottom case which he apparently cracked while taking my unit apart.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1046574...at=directlink#

Good luck!
    Interesting!

Tractor
    jdellostritto@yahoo.com

LOGG,
    Thanks for the comment on the video. I can't seem to post a reply to you in youtube. Not sure why. The camera is a HD hero by go pro GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports. I have the helmet hero model. it comes with helmet mounts and a head band. I used the headband to shoot the video. The camera needs plenty of light and shoots both time lapse pictures as well as 4 modes of HD video. It is a pretty slick camera.
    If it wasn't for your original post I would not have attempted. I thought i would try and contribute by recording and posting for any others who attempt the repair.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520

I have a new JD X300 and am still getting used to it since it only has 3 hours on it.

One thing I've noticed is that it moves fairly slowly in reverse compared to going forward. Is this the normal characteristic of the K46 transaxle?

Thanks.
    JD 2520, 200CX FEL, 46 BH, 47" snowblower, Ballast Box, X300 w/42" deck

Tractor
    JD LA130

Yes. It goes quite a bit slower in reverse.

THANKS!!!! for all the people that posted the rebuild info and pictures.
    Now my 2007 LA130 with 70 hrs and looks new runs like new also. I did buy the whole rebuild kit and only needed the pumps so next time I will know better. I did have a problem with the little pin tho. My kit had the upgrade valve body(?) and it dosen't use the pin. I thought they sent the wrong kit at first. I had already resigned myself to having to buy the 1600.00 K66 until I found the great writeup on here. Thanks again guys.

I'm about to order the parts and noticed that there was a post about upgrading some parts to the K57 spec's.... Has anyone else done this and how did it turn out ? I noticed that the Center case upgrade kit also contains a pair of magents just like Lot's of Green Grass the originator of this post suggested....Many Thanks to him for starting this thread !!! I'll be posting my results once the parts make their way up here to Canada eh....

Tractor
    JD LA130

My kit was the K46 upgrade kit. I don't know about the K57 upgrade. There were three of the round magnets in the kit but, no instructions on where to put them. There was only room for one in the original spot. So I just used one. My son mowed the yard a few days ago and said it was a lot better. I mowed it again today and it is like a new mower.

Tractor
    countax C600H

HI,I've heard that new K46 has a automatic differential lock. It could be nice to implement it but I wonder if it is possible. Did anybody try it ?

Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363 ... LastLast