TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #131  
Thanks to all who've contributed.

I have a LT180 with a K46 tranny. It has 120 hours and seems to work fine even backing up a hill. However, it makes a loud growling noise for the first 10 feet in forward and reverse when cold at startup. Does this constitute need for a rebuild or just synthetic upgrade?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures
Thanks to all who've contributed.

I have a LT180 with a K46 tranny. It has 120 hours and seems to work fine even backing up a hill. However, it makes a loud growling noise for the first 10 feet in forward and reverse when cold at startup. Does this constitute need for a rebuild or just synthetic upgrade?

New loud noise = problem or pending problem.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #134  
Hi Yellow. Like you, I didn't have the time to do the rebuild myself. I considered replacing the tranny with a new unit as your wife is suggesting, but I found out about the rebuild options and then about Duane Deardorff at Tuff Torq doing the rebuild on the side for customers.

Essentially he installs the T46 rebuild kit you can buy from Tuff Torq ($374) and if you desire, adds a T57 upgrade kit. The basic rebuild was $475.00. The T57 upgrade added $89.00. They can send you a pre-configured shipping box for an additional $13, which I used. That comes to $577. That does not include the cost of shipping the unit down to them, but it does include UPS ground return shipping. These were prices Duane quoted me in December, so I don't know if the fuel increases have changed his prices since then. A generic new K57 on the Tuff Torq site lists between $800 and $900 (not sure how it is configured), and a Simplicity spec'd K57 is $1018. If you read the Tuff Torq literature, the K57 is the same basic unit as the T46 just enhanced for additional durability and rated for a larger set of tires. You get an oil drain port and a charge pump for starters - not found in the T46.

I figured the additional upgrade cost and $100 for letting someone else do the work of installing the rebuild kit were worth it especially when compared to the price of a new build K57. A new K46 goes for over $600 and it is still a K46. I figured letting someone do the work to upgrade me to a K57 for about the same amount as a new K46 was worth the investment. Of course, if you have the time, you save a bunch doing it yourself.

Here's a link to show the work Duane did for me. The one item not normally included is the bottom case which he apparently cracked while taking my unit apart.
https://picasaweb.google.com/104657432962935815611/MyJDL118?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvz66y3qajfrAE&feat=directlink#

Good luck!

Really informative1 I have an lt180 JD with 110 hrs and was going to sell it and buy a sears pgt9500 for light duty dirt work and mowing /snow plowing.How would the lt180 do with the k57 upgrade? The motor says 17hp acts more like 22hp. Got it cheap so the investment in the k57 would make sense if it makes it last.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #135  
Note to anyone rebuilding John Deere LT180.
Part #8 is 180 degrees as shown in picture..Wide Side Down..
If installed as shown your forward and reverse will be wrong (but you can move very fast in reverse)LOL...
Also I invested in both sets of thrust bearings and center block kit...
:)

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #136  
Note to anyone rebuilding John Deere LT180.
Part #8 is 180 degrees as shown in picture..Wide Side Down..
If installed as shown your forward and reverse will be wrong (but you can move very fast in reverse)LOL...
Also I invested in both sets of thrust bearings and center block kit...
:)
Thanks
are you up and running fine now? Do you think you needed all the parts?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #137  
Thanks
are you up and running fine now? Do you think you needed all the parts?

I installed the motor, motor thrust bearing and pump over the weekend and it is pulling the hill alot better (would not pull up hill at all after half hour use) but I think it could be better so I ordered the center case kit and pump thrust bearings and will install in a couple of weeks.
I will post and let you know how the additional parts help. If nothing else I am becoming a pro at removing and reinstalling the tranny..LOL

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #138  
Hello Again! I did a rebuild last year in April. I got thru the whole summer mowing my acre and a half of hilly yard and plowed my 600 ft driveway all winter.

This year So far Ive mowed a few times and guess what. The transmission is heating up and Im loosing power again. The transmission lasted over 6 years from new and then the rebuild lasted only a year.

Im hoping for anybody's suggestions on what I may have done wrong. Im considering just getting a new K46 since I see them on eBay for $525.

Anybody's input is appreciated!!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #139  
Hello Again! I did a rebuild last year in April. I got thru the whole summer mowing my acre and a half of hilly yard and plowed my 600 ft driveway all winter.

This year So far Ive mowed a few times and guess what. The transmission is heating up and Im loosing power again. The transmission lasted over 6 years from new and then the rebuild lasted only a year.

Im hoping for anybody's suggestions on what I may have done wrong. Im considering just getting a new K46 since I see them on eBay for $525.

Anybody's input is appreciated!!
Do you remember what all parts you put in it? Synthetic 5/50oil?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #140  
I replaced these items as described on the first page of this thread AND got the 5W-50 oil.

1. Cylinder block (pump) kit
2. Cylinder block (Motor) Kit
3. Filter 105