TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #231  
I emailed Derrick at TuffTorq and the two things he said was 1) check the linkage and 2) pull the caps, turn the K46 over and drain the fluid and then fill it up with the 5W-50 Synthetic oil. He attached a paper on how high the fluid levels need to be.
Hi Nathan,

Any chance of posting up that "fluid level" document and any more details procedure for draining out all the fluid?

Many thanks.
Neo

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #233  
Many thanks :D and Merry Christmas :cool2:

Neo

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #234  
Well, I'm having the typical tranny problems discussed on this thread...Scotts 1642 purchased new in 2000, but the transmission is a Tuff Torq K51...not the K46. Haven't seen anything here on the K51, and very little on the entire site. So, just want to ask if anyone can shed some light on the K51...is it similar to the K46, is it a later model, upgrade or downgrade, etc.??

Hopefully, all the great stuff I've already reviewed on this thread will apply to some degree at least with the K51. I've had 11 years of trouble-free performance from this machine, and I've used it pretty hard. So can't complain, and I'm ready to rebuild the tranny if I can learn enough about it.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #235  
The K51 is a predecessor to the K46. The two share very few components but the basic principals of operation are the same.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #236  
Thanks. Upon removing the K51 transmission, I found the drive pulley slipping on the shaft. The shaft splines and the pulley grooves both worn almost smooth. Same problem apparently described by Ampsucker on this thread 11/30/2010. My transmission never had gradual loss of power as many have described, but the problem occured suddenly, accompanied by a loud chattering/ratcheting sound that would seem to match the slipping of a pulley on a splined shaft. So now I'm in for replacing the pulley and shaft and will call Tuff Torq to make sure I can get the right parts for the K51.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #237  
Can anyone please try to take a real good close up picture of the parts that are scored (bad) so I can try to figure out what the one guy had the machine shop grind? Thanks in advance if you can.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #238  
I know it's a long time since these pictures were requested but here are some shots of the mating surface on the center case with (in my case, pretty severe) scoring between the ports. I know these aren't award winning quality photos but I hope you can make out the damaged area. This entire mating surface (and the similar surface where the motor contacts the center case) would need to be machined. Cost wise, I think this is a very good option although I elected to go with new parts for my rebuild.

Some "lessons learned":

1) As others have mentioned (and I missed), don't forget the washer that is likely stuck to the back of the motor when you remove it (part #39 in the parts diagram). I missed it and I can testify that you really need it.
2) Use a little grease to hold the bypass pin in place while reassembling the motor/center casing. Either that, or grow a very flexible third hand. Trust me, the grease is easier =).
3) Operate the bypass lever before you put the bottom back on the case and seal it up. If the motor separates from the casing, you're good to go. Then, if things don't work when it's back on the tractor, you know the cause is not the bypass pin or part #39.
4) Leaving out part #39 and/or the bypass pin can result in symptoms that act like hydraulic "lock" (i.e. engaging the transmission kills the engine after spinning the tires a small amount). I thought failure to purge the air would cause the engine to "freewheel" (i.e. spin without moving the wheels) but that's not what I found.
5) If you're really stuck, give Derrick a call. He's very helpful and, at the very least, he can talk you off the ledge.

Attachments

• Scored Pump Mating Surface 1.jpg
    Scored Pump Mating Surface 1.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,804
  • Scored Pump Mating Surface 2.jpg
    Scored Pump Mating Surface 2.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 5,126
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #239  
I just fininshed a rebuild yesterday. Here is a picture that may be helpful to to others. With the center case you get a bracket with magnets. This picture shows where the bracket goes.
K46withNewMagnetsBracketInstalled.jpg

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #240  
Here are the parts that I bought for the rebuild.
K46rebuild001.jpg

After I sealed up the transmission, I was looking at the magnet picture and noticed that the motor housing looked to have the narrow end up and I knew that I put it in with the narrow side down. Thinking I was going to have to take the damned thing apart again, I remembered I took a picture with the case split before I removed anything. Sigh of relief when I saw that indeed, the wide side was up. Whew..
K46rebuild002.jpg