TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #261  
What size of thread have a drain bolts? Can i drill it, without opening a body?
/QUOTE]

You could drill the hole mounted - mounted in the tractor the oil will drain down and hopefully wash out the fileings. But you will need to fill it up with oil and you must take it off the tractor to fill. Just take it off and pull the cover and then drill the drain holes. Use bolts and threads available there of a size close to the other bolt sizes on the case (Stock drain bolts are 8MM). Get drain bolts from a auto supply store and get a tap to match.

Last edited:
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #262  
Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread!

Just ordered my parts, plan on doing surgery next week.

John Deere L110 (purchased new in 4/2003)
K46V S/N: 46V-0144099

Mowed ~500hrs and have 1.8 acres of mostly flat land with a very small but somewhat steep hill.

Transmission has one speed nowadays, slow. Occassionally when first starting out I get some wierd growling/groaning noises from the tranny.

We'll see.......

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #263  
Wow is this forum great!!!! Just what the doctor ordered!!!! My K46 has 550 hours on it and I change the fluid yearly. This spring it had a loud groan and little power at first but it went away after about 30 seconds of operation. I did change the fluid (5w50) and the tractor ran fine. I went to cut the grass again 1 week later and I had the same symptom and it ran fine after 30 seconds so it appears that it has issues after sitting for a day or two. I am going to buy the parts and do the rebuild but would anyone suggest any other parts based on my symptoms? I did try to call TT but I was unsure what department to ask for. No one will answer so you need to select the appropriate department. Tech support was not one of the options. Any idea what dept Derrik works for?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #264  
I have completed the rebuild of my k46, using the excellent guide sent in by LotsofGreenGrass.All told, I replaced the pump and motor, the differential gears, and the filter. I used Permatex Copper gasket seal on the case, replaced the vent plug, filled the case to just above the top of the magnet, (takes about 2 1/4 quarts of 5w50 synthetic oil),replaced the fill cap, and re-installed the transmission on my mower. I primed the pumps (with the wheels off the ground, pull the transport lever{takes the transmission out of gear}, push the forward pedal, then the reverse, then put the lever back in, and go forward and backward a few times.) I only had to do this 4 times, and the wheels started turning. When I actually got the wheels on the ground, it works great! Lots of power. Works much better than before. Thanks for everyone's help.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #265  
I hope to rebuild my soon. Where can I find the barcode for the transmission?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #267  
Parts are ordered....... 3 day shipping. What type of case sealant has anyone used? I did not order it from TT.

We shall see.

By the way,

Mine is a K46AC off of a JD L130

Larry

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #268  
Mine is a K-46BE. Ordered the parts suggested by LOGG. When I get it apart, I will check the scoring on the center case. If it is bad, I will order that also. Hope to tackle this rebuild within a week. I used UPS ground so don't know how long the parts will take to come in. This is an awesome thread. Glad I found it.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures
Wow, this thread continues to grow! Great : )

It's an ear to ear grin knowing you are riding a mower with a transmission that you fixed yourself!

I see a generation of men coming who can't fix much of anything. That's not us!

Soon after I rebuilt my k46, I had the confidence to rebuild and beef up a C6 Ford transmission. That was uh...much more involved:laughing:

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #270  
I would have to say that this thread has attracted a whole lot of newcomers. Maybe more than any other thread that I know of. But it seems they post once, twice, maybe 3 times and then are gone.

If you newbies are reading this, you'll be hard pressed to find a more informative forum about all the wonders and pitfalls of rural living.