TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #271  
Well I did it. My l110 seemed kind of slow and the K46v was a little noisy, so with some quick Googling, I ran into this great thread. It's funny, I was going to take pictures and possible video, but I got caught up into "Getting er Done". I was hoping for more speed. According to the specs I've read, Travel Speed - Forward (0 - 5.7 mph) and Reverse (0 - 3.4 mph). Mine goes about 4mph forward and 2mph in reverse. The trans. seems strong, because I have no problems climbing hills. Is it because I decided not to buy #24 1A646099710 CENTER CASE W/BALL IDS KIT for a whopping $135.00? I don't know, and I don't plan to find out. I looked the center case over real good for the scoring between the ports that was briefly touch upon here in this thread, and found that the center case looked good. My two magnets did look "harry", but that's to be expected. Maybe the engine is just not idled up enough. I'll have to look into that after I remove the trans again to be sure the oil is topped off enough and to put the magnet (that I forgot) in the fill hole. I'll report back later.

Last edited:
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #272  
bbkmods said:
Well I did it. My l110 seemed kind of slow and the K46v was a little noisy, so with some quick Googling, I ran into this great thread. It's funny, I was going to take pictures and possible video, but I got caught up into "Getting er Done". I was hoping for more speed. According to the specs I've read, Travel Speed - Forward (0 - 5.7 mph) and Reverse (0 - 3.4 mph). Mine goes about 4mph forward and 2mph in reverse. The trans. seems strong, because I have no problems climbing hills. Is it because I decided not to buy #24 1A646099710 CENTER CASE W/BALL IDS KIT for a whopping $135.00? I don't know, and I don't plan to find out. I looked the center case over real good for the scoring between the ports that was briefly touch upon here in this thread, and found that the center case looked good. My two magnets did look "harry", but that's to be expected. Maybe the engine is just not idled up enough. I'll have to look into that after I remove the trans again to be sure the oil is topped off enough and to put the magnet (that I forgot) in the fill hole. I'll report back later.

Update: I removed the trans. again and checked the fluid, and found that I needed to top it off with just a little more oil. I jumped onto my Deere hoping for the best, but It didn't make any difference on the speed. Maybe its really as fast as it will go, I don't know. I feel much better about my Deere now though. I know the condition of my trans. and I feel it will last me for many years to come, and really, how fast do I really need it to go.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures
Update: I removed the trans. again and checked the fluid, and found that I needed to top it off with just a little more oil. I jumped onto my Deere hoping for the best, but It didn't make any difference on the speed. Maybe its really as fast as it will go, I don't know. I feel much better about my Deere now though. I know the condition of my trans. and I feel it will last me for many years to come, and really, how fast do I really need it to go.

Did you replace the cylinder blocks? If, not that could be your culprit. You may not be able to fully visualize the wear impacting those cylinders.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #274  
I rebuilt my K46 (pump, motor and ids) and it is like new now, so add another success story. The gear on the motor was worn a lot, I would recommend replacing it.
I bet if one would replace the spring in the motor and pump it would restore full power. The springs keep the pump and motor sealed agains the ids, as the hydraulic pressure increases it will unseat the motor from the ids thus releasing the pressure and limiting torque.
If someone can source the springs the rebuild could be accomplished for a lot less.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #275  
The springs keep the pump and motor sealed agains the ids, as the hydraulic pressure increases it will unseat the motor from the ids thus releasing the pressure and limiting torque.
I guess you could prove this (temporarily) by re-tensioning the spring and seeing if you get more speed.... Maybe someone would like to give this a try to prove the theory?? :thumbsup:

All the best.
Neo

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #276  
LotsofGreenGrass said:
Did you replace the cylinder blocks? If, not that could be your culprit. You may not be able to fully visualize the wear impacting those cylinders.

I replaced the filter, pump, and motor. Is the IDS the same thing as the Center Case, which cost $135? If it is, I inspected it, and I did not find any scoring on the surface.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #277  
RottenMutt said:
If someone can source the springs the rebuild could be accomplished for a lot less.

I thought the same thing. I compared to the springs from the old pump and the new pump and found that the springs on new one were an 1/8 inch longer. I didn't check the motor's springs.

Last edited:
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #278  
I just completed the rebuild on my K46AC off of a JD L130. I experienced just what everyone else did so there were no surprises except for one. I drained every drop of oil and completed a thorough clean and when I put new oil back in it took 2.2 quarts. 2 quarts did not even fill it to the bottom of the magnet. I had not read anywhere that we needed more than 2 quarts. The filter was much worse than I expected and the internal magnet was caked. I did install the magnet upgrade along with the standard motor, pump and filter.
I am the second owner of this lawn tractor so I did not realize what I was missing. When I purchased it (for $300) it was in good shape but it had 500 hours on it. I did the rebuild at 558 hours and boy was it running bad. Tonight I got to experience what it would have been like new and it was terrific!!!!

Thanks Everyone!!!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #279  
One more thing......

What kind of life span is everyone getting out of the rebuilt K46's and what frequency are you changing your oil?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #280  
lkaskel said:
I did install the magnet upgrade along with the standard motor, pump and filter.

Thanks Everyone!!!

I'm jealous. Did you purchase the Center Case with IDS kit for the extra $135?