TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures
Thanks for the post/repair guide ! It has been great for some here already and I expect it to get plenty of use, nothing like a good how-to with pictures. TuffTorq ought to appreciate the post too.

Glad I could help!
Brit

I have the JD L120 tractor with the K46 transmission. The tractor is about 7 years old with 370 hours total run time. I use it to cut about 1.5 acres of hilly terrain AND I use it in the winter with a snow blade to clear my 600 ft drive way. I have definately beat the **** out of that transmission. Mine, like the others is loosing its grip after about 20 to 30 mins of run time.

I drained and replaced the fluid hoping for the quick fix but I got no improvement. SO, thanks to this awesome post with its detailed instructions I ordered the replacement parts and 4 quarts of 5w-50 from the TuffTorq website. Was under $200 total.

Now hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get back on here post that the rebuild was a total success! Wish me luck lol...

Hope it went well! Brit

Wow, what a chore! Of course, Im no seasoned mechanic or anything :) I took it apart and put the new parts in this morning. I got quite a chuckle out of the tiny rod (see paragragh below). I dropped it in the case, thought it was lost, used needle nose pliers to rescue it. Its smaller than a freakin tic tac and the tranny probably wouldnt work without it. I felt like a doctor performing brain surgery :laughing: I caught myself saying "If this thing works when Im done with it - I'll be shocked!!" Yep said that a few times today :D

I also replaced the drive belt while the gasket glue was curing since I had that much out of the way all ready. After It was complete and reassembled, I fired it up, closed my eyes, said a prayer, crossed my fingers and stepped on the go pedal. For brief moment there was no movement, then all of a sudden it lunged forward with reckless abandon!! I ran the heck out of it for about 30 minutes. I climed the steepest hills I could find, even backed it up a few of them, and the transmission seemed not to loose any strength. Yes, Im thinkin we have a bingo :thumbsup:

So Im very happy I took on the challenge. I look at it like I made $400 in 5 hours since a new tranny is $600 and I got less than $200 into the parts.

Awesome! I know the grin of success too! : )

Excellent post!! :thumbsup: You done way good, Brit! I'd be very surprised if someone doesn't pick this up and send it all over the Net!

Be able to find it on a landscaper site in Europe - next week! :D

AKfish
Thanks! It would be nice to have a pict of each rebuilder with that cheesy grin when the transmission is humming along like new again. I know I was smiling :)

I have similar problems with a 2003 L120 and the K46 transmission. I decided to try changing the oil first. I did not drop the tranny, but instead pulled the right wheel and have access to the valve on top. I pulled the rubber dust cap and the plug. TuffTorq description of the parts is the vent valve. The fluid level was approximately 2 inches from the top. I drained the oil with a pump and only got 1 qt. out. The oil is charcoal gray in color. I'm pretty sure the suction tube is hitting bottom and I can hear it sucking air and gurgling, indicating all oil has been removed. TuffTorq lists the capacity as 2 qts., is it possible I have lost that much oil in 7 yrs? Also, when I refill how far from the top should the fluid be?

My oil was gray too.

I filled mine up to about 3/4 of an inch from the top. Works fine. Keep in mind, there are many different K46s. Some have external tanks, so I believe capacities vary a bit.

Honestly, you will be much happier if you do the rebuild. It's really not that hard. The OEM filter is likely clogged like mine was. This will strain the rest of the trans.

Good luck!
Brit

It sure would be nice if we had a method of upgrading the current ones to the external filter and extra capacity storage pans also. Maybe someone could see when they talk to Tuff torq if it's even possible ? I'd do some preventive maint to get longer life out of this K46. Even if i've only had it less than a year so far.

Steve
I think what I would do here is tap the case in the center of the filter and put in a plug. Pushing oil through the top would flush the new screen type filter, so no need to open the case. I would also add 3-4 rare earth magnets in the case, to pick up more metal.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #28  
I have a John Deere L105 with K46 in it. It looses power on the uphill pretty much right from the start. So it looks like the transmission is going bad. One thing that I don't understand is why ToffTorg charges over $600 for a new transmission!!!??? I can buy a new JD tractor for $1,300 - $1,400 (or a lot less for other brands). Are you saying that the transmission is worth almost 40% of the total price???
This kind of pisses me off, that the TuffTorg gauges people that have their tranny problems. The rest of the tractor works just fine, the engine, etc.
How much do you think TuffTorg sells the tranny to John Deere for?? I bet it's not $600! Otherwise the tractor would be way more expensive. I understand that they are a business and need to make money, but when their part goes bad and the rest of the tractor works just fine, they should not ask these crazy prices. I would think a $300 would be reasonable to get a new tranny. What do you think?
thanks,
IG

Now fire up your tractor and drive off in to the Sunset:)

Mine worked fine immediately. I heard others had to get the air out by bleeding the transmission?

Here is how you do that: https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/docs/AirPurging.htm

Drop me a line if this guide helped you : )
Brit
Post pictures of your "It works!" smile, with your machine, if you wouldn't mind.

Do you guys have any idea how many K46s there are out there? Millions is my guess. That's a lot of pictures!

DIY's Guys always survive!

Brit

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #30  
Maybe You have service manual for K-46 in pdf. I cant find it at Tuff Torq website. I think , I should change oil in K-46, but I dont know how. It is three years old and traktor has 287 hour work. MikeloK