TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #322  
Thanks to all for the advice and pics. Did my rebuild today just waiting for the seal to dry. Was not that difficult. Will Probably fill the unit with 5w50 and put it back on the tractor tomorrow or next day. might as well change drive belt too while there's easy access. We'll see what happens.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #323  
Thanks to all for the advice and pics. Did my rebuild today just waiting for the seal to dry. Was not that difficult. Will Probably fill the unit with 5w50 and put it back on the tractor tomorrow or next day. might as well change drive belt too while there's easy access. We'll see what happens.

yes i also changed both belts and my fan also it was missing all the blades. good luck . jay.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #324  
Well I put about 4 hours of run time on the mower today and it held up well. I will put about 20 hours a week on this mower and see how long this rebuild last.

Wow, that is about 10 times what the average homeowner puts on his mower in a week! If you are doing commercial work, my thoughts are you should own a commercial mower. I surprised yours lasted as long as it did!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #325  
I mow about 20 yards a week with it. I hope to get a commercial mower next year. But for what a commercial mower cost I could buy a new tractor mower every year. Anyhow the rebuild is holding up well........

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #326  
Success! Started it up, wouldn't move at first then it took off. Ran it for about an hour with no problems. I put on a new fan also and new vent cap and fill cap. Parts are very affordable. Now will it stand the test of time. So far so good.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #327  
Many thanks for the superb thread.

Since the information provide did help a lot, I would like to give you a feedback on my experience.
At beginning I did change the motor, pump and the filter and had the center case surface reworked. Only little success, disappointing a lot. Drive forward good but on hilly ground lost of force after 30min.
Then I ordered and replaced the center case and did changed the gear transmission ratio. I can tell you lots of grin the entire night. :D. My LT166 has power and drive forward like it never had. And it is much faster than before. I will purchase an rpm meter and will verify the ingoing rpm on the shaft of the K46 to make sure not to exceed the 3000 rpm recommended on the spec.
Now John Deere is really fun.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #328  
All-right folks,

My rebuild is complete and I was wildly successful for a good 2.5 hours. Mowed fully once, did some light loads of mulch on the 10p cart, then went to spread some grub killer when the transmission went completely soft. The spreader is the backpack one, not any pulling...

I got new pump, motor and filter.

Any ideas? center case will clear this up?

Thanks for any advice you have!

-Daron

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #329  
Did you check your oil level after running it? I had to put in about 3/4 quart after running mine for a hour or so. It has been fine since.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #330  
Is there any good way to check/fill it without unbolting it from the mower?

I put in about 2.3 quarts of 5w50, I didn't think there was a lot more room than that...

Anyone else before I do a whole new tear down?

Thanks, Daron