TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #371  
I posted this a couple days ago as a new thread...may not have been the smartest move but I am new to this type of form. While mowing with my 2007 JD X300 (actually when I was repositioning the tractor) last weekend I completely lost forward, reverse and parking brake. Not really confident that I had the same problem as others who went with the K46 rebuild, I gave it a shot anyway, following the instructions posted by lotsofgreengrass (thanks). I figured, what the heck, it seems to have working for almost everyone else who tried the rebuild, and it probably wouldn't be a complete waste of money either way.

What was unique about my problem, compared to all others who attempted the rebuild, was that I lost all transaxle responsiveness immediately. I didn't notice a gradual loss of power...the unit was whiny and underpowered to begin with. My biggest reason to doubt that a rebuild would fix the issue is because of the immediate loss of F, R and brake and I could push the tractor with the brake engaged.

I have a bad habit of replacing unneeded parts, to substitute for my lack of mechanical troubleshooting skills. I am into this for $180 already. Seeing that I have no brake, I have to assume the failure is within the gears, somewhere after the disk that engages the brake. I didn't see any excessive ware on the gears but you can hear the gears within the transaxle grinding (operating the unit on jacks, the wheels will turn until you apply a small amount of pressure. They are easily stopped and that's when you can hear the grinding.

Any suggestions on what else may need to be replaced? Differential gear?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #372  
hi。。。 my name is jonathan i am from mexico I have a problem with the oil dipstick and I have not wanted to know which oil to use and how much to take
thank you very much for the guide :D

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #373  
Update on my K46 issues: I had been reluctant to pull the gears completely apart thinking that any issues would be visible by turning the assembled gears. I did drop the transaxle again last night, this time disassembling differential gear down to the axle. All parts looked good (again only 177 hrs on this) UNTIL I got to the right side axle. Lo and behold, the inside teeth of the gear that fits onto the right side axle were rounded off as were the opposing teeth on the axle itself. This resulted in the symptoms I posed originally: immediate loss of F/R/Brake accompanied by grinding noise, transaxle would operate the wheels (machine on jacks - where it has been for the past two weeks:)) until a small amount of pressure is applied to the wheels - at which point the grinding would start again.

Ordered
AXLE SHAFT, RIGHT 31.37 ea
DIFFERENTIAL GEAR KIT 25.72 ea
SNAP RING (the one above the fan - ordered a few of them) .26 ea
SEALING CAP (while I am at it) 2.42
2nd day UPS Air (have to mow the jungle before it gets more out of control) 31.15

Total just around $90. Having also replaced the motor, pump, filter and oil change, I am optimistic she'll be back in operation by the weekend. More to come...

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #374  
Ida;
I 'm not very computer literate, can't do paint. I have'nt even graduated to dummy status. The surface I'm talking about is on the block that the cylinders revolve against. I did'nt do anything w/ the pistons & bores, I did'nt notice anything wrong there, perhaps ther're not so critical. Hope this helps. Let me know.
Cheers
Joebob

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #375  
JOEBOB hello I have a problem with my tractor because instead of moving forward and going backward instead of going forward going backwards but eh force reviewed some videos and I lack insurance or bolt that goes inside the module with the pistons not great if you could help me?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #376  
Keto; Dont understand what you're talking about. Can anyone take a piccie of the surface of the block that the motor & pump revolve against, if you understand it, & post it here?
Cheers
Joebob

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #377  
Hey Rock;
I had posted before about milling/grinding the block which worked beautifully for me, but guys are still buying unnecessary parts for hundreds, when a $25 repair & some labor worked fine, go figure!
Cheers
Joebob

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #379  
How did it go?
:)

Question for you guys, I just replaced the 3 afforementioned parts, had no problems, put it all back together and ran the tractor up nice grades for about 20 minutes without a glitch. Parked tractor (L130) for about fifteen minutes to clean up tools and hopped back on it. About two minutes later it slowed and then stopped! Very loud groaning, and it seems like its slipping and wanting to move. Belt is fine. Neutral lever in back seems to not have to definite points any longer. It just seems sloppy. Any ideas? Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #380  
You will need to check your oil level again. Unfortunately it means pulling the trans out again. Mine did the same thing, added about a 1/2 quart and has been perfect since.