Page 49 of 79 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    L110

Default Re: TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

How much oil roughly does the K46V hold?

Tractor
    John Deere X300

A little over 2 quarts
    Deere X300, Plug aerator with winch

Tractor
    JD L110 Auto

Great thread and much appreciated.

Just had my neighbour call in, his John Deere L110 Automatic just went bang in the rear.

What he said happened, is that when he started it it didn't sound right, there was a strange howling noise coming from the rear and when he drove it further he heard a bang from the rear and then the mower would not move.

The motor runs fine so it is not from there

After following the instructions from this thread, I got the Transmission out and on the bench to pull apart.

Well it has got me stumped.

ps: It has 360hrs on the meter - K46V

Opened the transmission up, and pulled every thing out and checked it and can't find a thing wrong with it, no broken bits - no siezed bits & only a few light shavings on the magnet, oil looked fine.

Remembering that there was a big bang and then it just stopped, it wouldn't go forward or reverse but the motor was running normally.

Just to be sure I went and started the motor to make sure the drive & cutter pulleys were working/spinning and they were fine.

When you hear a bang you expect to find broken bits but there is nothing and nothing to suggest that it may have jumped a cog or similar.

So is it possible that nothing broke but the cylinder block pump or the cylinder block motor have just given up the ghost and the bang was a last gasp.

Very confused
    Rich
    Last edited by olliesL110; 02-27-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: more detail

Tractor
    John Deere X300

Maybe a little late but did you try turning the K46 pulley to see if the axles moved before you took it all apart?
    Did the shaft under the K46 pulley/fan look OK? several reported it stripped. Also check the keyway pins on the axle to wheels, may have broken one of them. I never took mine apart so hopefully someone else can give you a way to check the pumps.

Tractor
    JD 955, Economy Power King

Have youchecked the thrust bearing under the cylinder block pump? It may be cracked. Bearings are encased in nylon type housing.
    Ron

Tractor
    JD L110 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by RBLapham View Post
    Maybe a little late but did you try turning the K46 pulley to see if the axles moved before you took it all apart?
    Did the shaft under the K46 pulley/fan look OK? several reported it stripped. Also check the keyway pins on the axle to wheels, may have broken one of them. I never took mine apart so hopefully someone else can give you a way to check the pumps.
    All of the above checked and all ok

Tractor
    JD L110 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Molerj View Post
    Have youchecked the thrust bearing under the cylinder block pump? It may be cracked. Bearings are encased in nylon type housing.
    All good in that respect

Tractor
    JD L110 Auto

How do you know if you have enough fluid in both chambers??, I filled it up via the vent valve (the one with rubber cap on top of the plug), does it flow through to both chambers as I couldn't see any obvious flow channel - I did put 1.8L of 5w/50 syn oil.

The reason I ask is I have put it back together, (I also replaced both the small idler pullies and
    the belt to be on the safe side)jacked it up und done the air purging, got the wheels to go forward & back
    then lowered it and tried it out.

It goes forward ok for a little bit then very slowly, in reverse some times it works then the next time it won't
    I done the air purge 3 or 4 times for the same results.
    When it does go it makes a howling type sound when under pressure, so that is why I queried the oil bit as I am wondering
    if there is enough in each chamber - I put exactly 1.8L of 5w50 syn oil.

Or is it a matter of continuing the air purging.

Tractor
    John Deere X300

A previous post - on the ground - had to run forward - reverse back and forth quickly for a bunch of times and then it started working great.
    When I refilled mine I only used 2 Quarts and it is working just fine. I only drained and refilled with Syn 5-50. Yes there is a passage between the two sides. I used the flat plug and not the vent.
    Since you are down under - you probably don't need to turn it over to drain

Tractor
    JD L110 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by RBLapham View Post
    A previous post - on the ground - had to run forward - reverse back and forth quickly for a bunch of times and then it started working great.
    When I refilled mine I only used 2 Quarts and it is working just fine. I only drained and refilled with Syn 5-50. Yes there is a passage between the two sides. I used the flat plug and not the vent.
    Since you are down under - you probably don't need to turn it over to drain:laughing:
    Since you are down under - you probably don't need to turn it over to drain
    Very Good, I like

All fixed 1.8L was not enough, I added an extra 200ml total = 2L and away she went, just like new again.

Regards
    Rich

Page 49 of 79 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast