TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #512  
Re: TuffTorq K46 / John Deere L110 Transmission Repair Guide with Pictures

have a john deere l110 just put new pump and motor in transmission now it just growls when I try to go forward or backwards won't move.. Plus it won"t free wheel when I pull out on the rod in the back either.. Any answers or suggestions ???

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #513  

have a john deere l110 just put new pump and motor in transmission now it just growls when I try to go forward or backwards won't move.. Plus it won"t free wheel when I pull out on the rod in the back either.. Any answers or suggestions ???

Did you verify that the pump and motor were spinning before you put the transaxle back on the mower? Did you top off with more oil after doing the air purge? I did my air purge on the shop bench by using a clamp to release the brake, and spinning the pulley by hand. I saw quite a lot of bubbbles in the oil as I was rotating the pulley and watching the axle move (about as slow as the minute hand on an analog clock).

When it's jacked up, does the differential work, i.e. spin one wheel, and the other wheel spins the opposite direction? This would check that the differential and axles aren't binding.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #514  

I noticed the the bottom one closest to the pulley spinning whenever i spin the pulley but never seen the other one move yet..Yes whenever I turn one wheel the other goes the opposite way is that what is supposed to happen ?? The oil didn't drop any at all

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #515  

I noticed the the bottom one closest to the pulley spinning whenever i spin the pulley but never seen the other one move yet..Yes whenever I turn one wheel the other goes the opposite way is that what is supposed to happen ?? The oil didn't drop any at all

Yes, one axle moves from spinning the pulley, while the other didn't for me either. And the wheels do turn the opposite way due to the open differential.

Did you reconnect the brake actuator? Maybe you still need to bleed more air out?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #516  
Lots of green grass, What advise can you give on John Deere L110 when the transmission is slipping.
Have replaced belts and no help.
Thanks

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #518  
Just wanted to say that I could not find any 5/50 Synthetic so I used 5/30 Synthetic. I have had no problems at all.

As others have mentioned in other threads found on the net:
1.) Originally came with 10/30 Dino oil so Synthetic is much better.
2.) Splitting hairs between 5/50 and 5/30.
3.) Thousands out there, many without problems at over 1000 hours.
4.) Much of the problems are due to clogged cooling fins on the upper side of Transaxle, thus causing over heating of oil..... Keep top side of Transaxle clean so the cooling fan can do it's work.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #519  
Nettelec, I am interested in getting the parts list for the upgrade.
Thanks
Chuck