TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #541  
Good afternoon pooleo,

Would you know how many hours you had when you did your first oil change ?
I`m working to try to get an idea whether or not these transmissions are as bad as the reputation
or is it because they were utilized outside of the design rating and/or if they had made it to the "250hr" mark.
It would seem that there must be thousands of these units out there and if we had say 500 complaints on 10,000 units
would that be a bad number ?
Thank you, andrew

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #542  
I had just over 400hrs before the first oil change.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #543  
Here are the pics so far. First pic is of the metal shavings in the case. The oil looks metallic. I also decided that the flat on my bench vise would be good enough to sand the pump/motor. After which, I wrapped the pump in 400 grit wet paper and sanded in a circular motion on the center case. I also found that a thin coat of the oil makes the sanding much easier.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #544  
I also think my filter is plugged. I can not even blow 120psi of compressed air thru the filter. Perhaps its a combo of the pump not getting fluid/or enough fast enough and the wore out parts. I am confident like the one poster said, that the motor/pump themselves are not faulty. They are pretty simple in design and mechanical in operation. Maybe the springs could be wore out a fuzz.....?

Best course of action now is to do the fixes, and sell this thing! lolz

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #545  
Also, a question on operation here.

Is the idea here that the motor/pump grinds into the center case and what this does is actually create a seal, which does not allow oil to flow from the cyclinders, down the bottom and out thru the gaps?

So the center case being flat, provides gaps for the oil to do its thing. After the cylinders have ground into the center case, those gaps are gone.

Sorry if this is confusing. :p

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #546  
I really want this to work. I spent good money on my winter tires. :D

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #547  
Let us know how the repair works out.

Looking at the JD parts catalogue between the transaxle pictures of the X300 and the X360 it looks as if
the hydraulic resevoir tank on the X360 attaches right over what would be the vent port on the transaxle case.
If this is true then is it possible to mount the hydraulic reservoir tank from the X360 to the case of the X300 and
then this way it would be much easier to change the oil along with the installation of the drain plugs.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #548  
Let us know how the repair works out.

Looking at the JD parts catalogue between the transaxle pictures of the X300 and the X360 it looks as if
the hydraulic resevoir tank on the X360 attaches right over what would be the vent port on the transaxle case.
If this is true then is it possible to mount the hydraulic reservoir tank from the X360 to the case of the X300 and
then this way it would be much easier to change the oil along with the installation of the drain plugs.

Im going to tap threads at the vent and install a barb fitting. At the very lest to run a hose up under the seat. But I like the idea of putting the reservoir on it. Either way I think tapping threads and at least putting a fitting in there is a positive step.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #549  
Just cross referenced the part numbers, the vent cap on the X300 and the resevoir cap on the X360 hydraulic tank are the same part number.
Its looking as if the vent cap can be popped off the 300 and then used again on the 360 tank.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #550  
so does that mean that with the tank the entire internal components of the trans are submerged in oil....? Perhaps that is the difference, or at least a factor in these trans failing......?