TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #551  
The transmission components must be fully submerged.
When I refilled my K46 last night with the specified amount of 2 and 1/4 quarts the oil level was within 1" of the top of the
case so pretty darn full. Another inch or two up into the resevoir tank would make no difference at all except to probably
take the full three quarts so you didn`t have the remaining 3/4 of a quart hanging around the shop for the next 100hr interval ! :)

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #552  
Let us know how the repair works out.

Looking at the JD parts catalogue between the transaxle pictures of the X300 and the X360 it looks as if
the hydraulic resevoir tank on the X360 attaches right over what would be the vent port on the transaxle case.
If this is true then is it possible to mount the hydraulic reservoir tank from the X360 to the case of the X300 and
then this way it would be much easier to change the oil along with the installation of the drain plugs.

Just know there is one tank mounting bolt that goes into the K58H transmission at the vent (left side) and the other side is supported by the X360's frame. You need the L bracket that attaches to the traction belt tensioner spring post (attached to the right hand frame) and then a plastic push pin that fits in the right-hand mounting hole in the tank to secure the bracket and the tank together. It should physically fit if the mouth of the vent is the same (and I believe it is) between the K46 and K58. However, there is no guarantee that either side's tank bolt hole is the same location relative to the K46 transmission vent hole or to the traction belt tensioner spring post. You may have to craft a mount on one or both sides if you are unlucky.

A better approach may be to go to Tough Torq's parts site and look at K46 variants from other manufacturers that TT sells external tanks for and order those parts. As long as the tank won't interfere with the X300's fuel tank, you should be good to go.

In my case, the X304's steering components block any size attached tank and I am going to have to live with the plastic caps and internal fill. Getting to the fill caps is problematic on the X304 because of the rear steering components getting in the way. I envision that it will take pulling the four bolts that hold the fenderdeck to the tractor, and lifting the rear fenders without removing the forward and reverse pedals and then moving the gas tank after removing the retaining rod. Then there is easy access to the fill locations from the top. Better than pulling the transmission (you do not want to have to remove the cast iron steering frame that entangles the transmission on the X304 if you don't have to).

I did do the two drain plugs, so I can service it. Incidentally, the drain plugs were drilled with 17/64 or H drill bit and were tapped with 8mmx1.25. WD40 worked as cutting fluid quite well. As I mentioned in another thread, you have to order two drain plug kits as Tough Torq considers a screw and a sealing washer a kit and you need two to completely drain the transmission.

Last edited:
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #553  
I got the magnets at Amazon and Grainger.

I ordered from both links below, the first link is what has come in.
1 inch x 1/8 thick (14 lbs pull):
Magnetman 1-inch By 1/8-inch Rare Earth Disc Magnets, 4-count + 1 FREE = "5 Magnets"!!: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Applied Magnets ® 10-pc Neodymium Magnets 1" x 1/8" Strong Disc Magnets - Amazon.com

1 inch x 1/4 thick (19.4 lbs pull) Will not fit case slot or fill bracket, only work under bracket at filter (but more powerful)
GRAINGER APPROVED VENDOR Disc Magnet, Rare Earth, 19.4 Lb, 1.000 In - Magnets - 2VAF2|2VAF2 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Grainger has a 1 and 1/4 x 1/8 magnet with 22 lbs pull but didn't have it in stock locally. However, corrected for area, this is the same field strength as the 1"x 1/8; the 1"x1/4 has higher field strength, which is what will pull the small debris in.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #556  
so does that mean that with the tank the entire internal components of the trans are submerged in oil....? Perhaps that is the difference, or at least a factor in these trans failing......?

The X360 and X310 need the reservoir to have sufficient fluid to run the hydraulic power steering and deck lift as well as run the transmission. I am not sure how well the fluid will circulate in and out of the tank. You may have a higher reserve in case of a leak, but I doubt it will get used in the transmission to keep the oil like new longer than otherwise. At best, it may act as a heat sink and take longer to get hot due to more volume of oil.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #557  
You've had your case open, so I assume you have clearance for those plugs.

Actually I have not considered. I was initally going to put on in the center of the filter, lots of room there. Ideally I would have a bung welded in.....might just go that route instead.

The X360 and X310 need the reservoir to have sufficient fluid to run the hydraulic power steering and deck lift as well as run the transmission. I am not sure how well the fluid will circulate in and out of the tank. You may have a higher reserve in case of a leak, but I doubt it will get used in the transmission to keep the oil like new longer than otherwise. At best, it may act as a heat sink and take longer to get hot due to more volume of oil.

That makes sense. Im not even sure if the K46 would even circulate anything....in and out of a reservoir. If it did, you could hook up an external oil cooler. :D

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #558  
I'm also having issues with the fan. After I pulled it out from winter mode I noticed the fan blades were all gone. So I bought a new one, installed. Then did my 1hr before it went to ****. The new fan was all broken as well. Need to get that figured out also.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #559  
The clip for the free wheel rod was gone, I wonder if that rod was lifting up enough to contact the blades.....?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #560  
I'm also having issues with the fan. After I pulled it out from winter mode I noticed the fan blades were all gone. So I bought a new one, installed. Then did my 1hr before it went to ****. The new fan was all broken as well. Need to get that figured out also.

there are several configurations of fan and pulley. I assume that you have the fan on bottom and pulley on top? I have noticed that clearance is small if the fan is on the bottom. You might try flipping it over to see if that side has a little more clearance between the fan fins and the transmission case. There may be shims or washers that need to go on in a particular order. If there is sufficient clearance, is the input shaft worn to the point that it is wobbling and allowing the fan blades to hit the case and break? I would think you could grasp the input shaft and wiggle it back and forth while rotating it to see if there is play. If play is OK, I am at a loss. Did this happen while mowing and something hard flew up there (do you have a rear discharge mowing deck?)