TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #51  
I want to thank Greengrass for posting this guide. My 2004 L130 was exhibiting all the symptons described herein with the K46 not able to move on nearly level ground once it was hot (about 45 minutes). This began about 2 years ago around 250 hours and this year at about 350 hours became un bearable. I did the overhaul by replacing the pump and motor units and the filter. Parts, etc about $165. I did notice the scoring that doblerb described in his post and it may be that macining without parts would have worked. Since I wanted to fix it when I got it opened up I ordered the parts and bought 3 quarts of 5w50 synthetic and the permatex ultra copper sealant at a local auto parts store. The diagram from tuff torq is absolutely a necessity. Only problem was the tiny rod that fell out of the block when it was lifted out. It goes back in the small hole that is about 1/2" FROM THE CENTER HOLE FOR THE SHAFT. The thin washer covers this hole when installed on the shaft. You must be careful that the little rod doesn't slide out the back of the hole while reinstalling the block until the free-wheel stud blocks it in place from behind. If you enlarge the parts diagram on-screen you will see that the line pointing to the correct location for the little rod is accurately drawn to the side of the center of the shaft. I did have to do the air bleeding procedure which is described on the tuff torq web site. It was pretty scary for a few minutes but gradually the torque picked up. I am pleasantly surprised by the reduction in noise and the increased driving power which I hadn't experienced since the tractor was new. I took this opportunity to install a new drive belt which I bought a couple of years ago (because I thought the old one was slipping, hahaha!) but had not installed. I think if I can get another 5 years out of the tranny the mower will probably be ready to be retired anyway. Again Thanks to all who posted their comments here which gave me the encouragement to do the overhaul.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #52  
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the K46 internals to the K66 internals.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #53  
big thank you to lotsofgreengrass, carried out repair job on jd145 transaxle
successfully with the help i recieved on here.my jd145 had only 70 hrs from new so i was quite dissapointed when it packed up...........now it running again ,slighty more noise coming from it and a bit slower going into rev,think i,didn,t vent it fully but it runs :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #54  
Just spent the last 4 hours searching for a new K46 transaxle for a L120. This thread is a LIFE saver!! Just picked up a L120 today for $400 because the previous owner got tired of it slowing down when cutting after an hour. He bought a new mower instead of fixing it. Wish me LUCK on the repair. My last Deere, 180 model lasted over 26 years. Thanks again for making my night.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #55  
farmermick, mine did the same, more noise and still a little off on power. I pulled it out again and checked the oil level, I needed to add 1/2 qt and it has been fine since.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #56  
well, i guess i'm a member of this club, now!

my scott's/deere L17.542 gave up on me today while mulching leaves.

wouldn't go in forward or reverse and just kind of makes a rubbery squeeking sound when the pedal is engaged back or forwards. had to push it back out to the trailer and up the ramps.

oh, well. i have more than 800 hours on this machine so i guess i got my money's worth. i have pulled dethatchers, plug aerators, trailers, a 600 lb roller, etc. over the years and mowed a 10 acre field with it for 2 summers! that in addition to the 6-7 acreas i mow every year since it was new in 2001.

i'll be tearing it down over the thanksgiving day weekend and it's really nice to have this write up to refer to. great job! now that i know it can be done, i'll try to fix it myself rather than buying a new mower.

amp

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #57  
Wow. Very informative thread! I have an L118 with 347.8 some hours, this is a very useful thread. Yet my tranny is still going strong. :)

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #58  
well, took mine apart over the last couple days as had time.

found the drive sheave (pulley A) was slipping on the input shaft - both shaft and pulley were stripped out. new shaft assembly/bearing kit $25.51. new pulley sheave $10.30

i do show some wear on the pump housings and pistons so am replacing those with the cylinder block kit and center case kit. did i mention i have over 700 hours on this thing?

total cost is looking to be around $240.

ordering on monday.

now if i can just remember how it all goes back together by the time the parts get here!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures
well, took mine apart over the last couple days as had time.

found the drive sheave (pulley A) was slipping on the input shaft - both shaft and pulley were stripped out. new shaft assembly/bearing kit $25.51. new pulley sheave $10.30

i do show some wear on the pump housings and pistons so am replacing those with the cylinder block kit and center case kit. did i mention i have over 700 hours on this thing?

total cost is looking to be around $240.

ordering on monday.

now if i can just remember how it all goes back together by the time the parts get here!

700 hours? Wow! Good luck with your rebuild. Take picts if you can : )

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #60  
forgot i was going to post up the exploded parts diagram and parts list that derrick send me.

these are for the 46V hydro.

Attachments

• k46v.pdf
    376.3 KB · Views: 5,275
  • K46vparts.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 6,230