TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #831  
New season, drained and refilled the transmission again. The oil was in much better condition this time around. Put the unit back on the tractor and after a short test drive, hooked up the plug aerator and went to work for an hour. Worked great. A week later I cut the lawn and did notice the tight turn shudder is still there. I suspect now it has been that way since the rebuild and I just hadn't taken notice until late last season. Backing off just slightly on the turn radius eliminates the shudder so I can easily work around it and not worry about it going forward. So, back to the annual cutting routine with a happy machine. :thumbsup:

Thought I'd provide an update on the Tuff Torq build on my T40 to K57. After 75 hours of use on the rebuilt transmission for my JD L118, I decided to drain the unit and do a complete refill. The unit was doing fine since the overhaul, but I wanted to be safe. The oil that drained out did not look healthy. It was a milky brown - like coffee with milk in it. Not sure if that is normal.

We completely drained it and refilled with the recommended synthetic 5W-50. Worked all of the air out of it and it was fine right away. I cut the lawn that evening and performance seemed the same. It was still fine and has for the most part run fine since.

Now I'm approaching 200 hours (around 480 total for the tractor) and the end of my fourth season on the rebuilt transmission and still seems to be working fine. I have noticed some increased shuddering while making tight turns so I'm going to drain and replace the oil again before I start using it in the spring. I'll check in with the Tuff Torq guys to see if the shuddering in tight turns is a big issue. I'm wondering if the K57 changes cause issues with the 18" turn radius the tractor is originally rated for.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #832  
Re: TuffTorq K46 / John Deere L110 Transmission Repair Guide with Pictures

VERY GOOD post. You are a hero to those who want to get a project done. Too bad your post is 5 years old now, I just looked on the tufftorq link you posted and to get those very same parts now is $370 !!!!!! I got so excited to do this fun project and took off the trans and almost tore down into it and thought, "i'll check the part availability first" and yikes....... Looks like those JERKS at TuffTorq decided, "HEy we have tons of sales on these parts for our poorly manufactured trans, so let's jack the price!"> And so now I guess I'll proceed with pulling motor and tires, and junking the rest! JD Sabre has 1046 hours and still looks good, but not putting 400 into a rear end when briggs claims those are 1,000 hour motors. The motor will work on my farm lime spreader for 8 hours per year now. Eitehr way, I wish more people would do detailed fixes like this for people like me who get confused without your help. THANKS!!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #833  

Actually the repair kit is 376.00 + 16.00 for 2 liters of synthetic oil + 20.00 shipping. And the question I get asked by a customer is will this last longer than before? I asked Tuff torq, their answer to me was, "if you have inclines, no. These transmissions weren't designed for a lot of hills. " They did agree keeping the transaxle free of grass buildup & the synthetic oil will help. How do you continue to sell a product for use in a lawn tractor that does not hold up to typical outdoor use? Any tractors being sold with a K46 transaxle should come with a warning label, CAUTION: FOR BEST RESULTS, USE ONLY ON LEVEL SURFACES?.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #834  

Has anyone actually installed one of these? TUFF TORQ K46 TRANSAXLE
Seems like its kinda a crap shoot as to whether these things will work on your machine or not. The question and answer part of the site makes it clear that they will give you NO help on that end. So, if anyone has bought one of these and has experience with the install, your input would be appreciated.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #835  

I asked Tuff torq, their answer to me was, "if you have inclines, no. These transmissions weren't designed for a lot of hills. " They did agree keeping the transaxle free of grass buildup & the synthetic oil will help. How do you continue to sell a product for use in a lawn tractor that does not hold up to typical outdoor use? Any tractors being sold with a K46 transaxle should come with a warning label, CAUTION: FOR BEST RESULTS, USE ONLY ON LEVEL SURFACES?.

I would modify the warning to "CAUTION: DO NOT USE ON *ANY* HILLS OR SLOPES." Synthetic oil did nothing for me.

I wish John Deere and Tuff Torq had been honest about this severe limitation from the very beginning. It drives just fine on level ground even with the extra weight of the snowthrower and suitcase weights in the rear, but just can't handle any inclines at all. Ditto with just the lawnmower.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #836  

I have a couple of short slopes and the mower seems to do just fine - mind you I have only 170 hours on it so far. I keep reading this thread and end up imagining the worst LOL. I have the synthetic oil but have yet to take the transmission off to do the job.
Can any one recommend another brand that will work better ?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #837  

Seems like its kinda a crap shoot as to whether these things will work on your machine or not. The question and answer part of the site makes it clear that they will give you NO help on that end. So, if anyone has bought one of these and has experience with the install, your input would be appreciated.
My understanding is that transaxle is for mtd tractors. The axle is not keyed, it has the d shape that fits on the rim.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #838  

Does anyone know what the "Ball IDS" and "Filter IDS" do?

Are these fluid relief valves? If they are fluid relief components, has anyone tried stiffer springs to improve pulling power?

Restorer

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #839  
Great job with procedure and pictures. I was going to rebuild mine but was able to, through a friend, get one from a dealer only $85 more than the rebuild parts. Needed differential gears. input shaft and pulley as well as other rebuild parts.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #840  

Yes i did, a quote from me a few posts back ----

I purchased one of these
in the process of putting it back on the mower now, pulled the clips and swapped axles, pulled the pump and flipped the wedge over, and swapped input shaft will update how it went when i get her back on the mower.

The update now is i have mowed 6 times and it climbs hills like a mountain goat :thumbsup: and i have a steep yard !