TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #861  
Update:

I have been running this oil for a month now and have about 15 hours accumulated.
It is working as good as it did when I first started using it.

Here's Two example of the differences between 5 Winter 50 synthetic and the Volvo Penta 75 Winter 90 synthetic.

Don

Hi mate, a couple of questions.

1/ Can you explain re Winter synthetic - is there different types eg; one for summer and one for winter

2/ Did you open up the transmission and clean it out before changing to this oil, or just turn it upside down and drain it.

3/ Being a thicker oil I assume it takes less to fill the transmission, any idea how much less.

4/ Have you used it for more than an hour yet or would you be confident it will do so.

Many thanks
Curious Aussie.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #862  
Well, this past weekend, while it was about 90 outside, cut my lawn and wouldn't you know, my L118 with the rebuilt T40 was a bit slower going up the hill in my lawn. It was fine on the flats. Wednesday evening I went back out to cut again. The temperature was around 80 and this time the up hill speed was fine. So clearly, heat is a major factor. Given it is this late in the season, I would not be surprised if the transaxle cooling fins are dirty. I wish there were was an easy way to see them without having to get under the backend of the tractor.

So, I will likely change the oil out for a heavier weight as a few others have done. I'm currently running with the synthetic 5W50. If I run into more trouble, it will be time to either consider doing the K66 upgrade or getting a new machine. If I get new tractor, I'll be investing in a garden tractor.

The engine is working fine on my L118. Front tires are pretty worn, but I'll be swapping them for the ones on my trailer (same tire, but different wheel). The one big complaint I have with the L118 is how dang loud it is. The muffler is lame. I also wish that I had originally bought a machine with a 48" deck - I wonder if the L118 can take one. Clearly, the K66 upgrade would be the less expensive then a new GT. Oh, well.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #863  
So, I will likely change the oil out for a heavier weight as a few others have done. I'm currently running with the synthetic 5W50. If I run into more trouble, it will be time to either consider doing the K66 upgrade or getting a new machine. If I get new tractor, I'll be investing in a garden tractor.

You have my sympathy.

I have been running my K66-upgraded L130 since the Thanksgiving snowstorm of 2014, and it has never skipped a beat in the 30+ hours I have since put on it. The K46 used to bog down after 10-15 minutes running the snowthrower even in single-digit weather, but the K66 never gave any hints of slowing down at any temperature or load. I was so glad I had it installed in time for last winter's brutal Northeast snowstorms, and used it all summer with mowing and pulling rocks out of my driveway and flower gardens. I replaced the dry-rotted rear turf tires with ag tires in the spring. Now it can climb some of the steeper bumps in my yard with much less wheelspin than before, but it also digs up more of my lawn - good thing I don't mind those occasional dirt spots.

I keep telling myself that the $1700 K66 upgrade is an investment. A garden tractor is still out of my reach, especially since I'll also have to buy a snowthrower attachment for any new machine, which makes it even more unobtainable.

Good luck!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #864  
I have similar problems with a 2003 L120 and the K46 transmission. I decided to try changing the oil first. I did not drop the tranny, but instead pulled the right wheel and have access to the valve on top. I pulled the rubber dust cap and the plug. TuffTorq description of the parts is the vent valve. The fluid level was approximately 2 inches from the top. I drained the oil with a pump and only got 1 qt. out. The oil is charcoal gray in color. I'm pretty sure the suction tube is hitting bottom and I can hear it sucking air and gurgling, indicating all oil has been removed. TuffTorq lists the capacity as 2 qts., is it possible I have lost that much oil in 7 yrs? Also, when I refill how far from the top should the fluid be?

I guess the internet is timeless. Here it is more than 5 yrs after you posted and the topic is still relevant. I have an older Deere L130 so my question is this: what tube size did you use to squeeze it down those two sides of the same hole (one side of the hole is gear side, the other is the pump side)? Those passages look very tiny on a schematic so did you use small aquarium tubing or some specialized tubing and if so, what O.D./I.D.?

Edited post as just read you put tube down the vent valve. Guess I was picturing that you put it down the other plug that has gear/pump oil access and those are small areas.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #865  
Great post, still relevant 5 yrs later. Question: what size tubing (ID/OD) did you use to jam it down into each of the oil chambers (one side of the plug hole leads to the gear side oil, the other leads to the pump side oil)?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #866  
Hi mate, a couple of questions.

1/ Can you explain re Winter synthetic - is there different types eg; one for summer and one for winter

2/ Did you open up the transmission and clean it out before changing to this oil, or just turn it upside down and drain it.

3/ Being a thicker oil I assume it takes less to fill the transmission, any idea how much less.

4/ Have you used it for more than an hour yet or would you be confident it will do so.

Many thanks
Curious Aussie.

Just seen your post.

1.) You can google to find out what the 75w 90 means but a simple version is it is a winter rating for oil to pass through an orifice at a certain temperature

2.) The 5w 50 was not too old so I just drained it out.

3.) No less, the same amount.

4.) Have used it for over two months approx 60 hours. No problems. Very confident.

You guys are going into summer down there, stay cool!!
Cheers Mate!
Don

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #867  
Just seen your post.

1.) You can google to find out what the 75w 90 means but a simple version is it is a winter rating for oil to pass through an orifice at a certain temperature

2.) The 5w 50 was not too old so I just drained it out.

3.) No less, the same amount.

4.) Have used it for over two months approx 60 hours. No problems. Very confident.

You guys are going into summer down there, stay cool!!
Cheers Mate!
Don

Thanks for the reply Mate.

Will give it a go, I had the trans out and changed the filter cleaned it out and new oil about 6mths ago, so will just do the drain and refill this time.

Just into the second month of Spring and 35% C, around 95%F in Sydney today so am expecting a long hot summer.

Regards
Rich

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #868  
Wow, well don't worry about the W (Winter) rating:laughing:
20151006_072148.jpg

Let us know how this oil works for you.
Cheers

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #870  
Thank you for the information & pictures, I believe this will be very helpful