TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #881  
Re: TuffTorq K46 / John Deere L110 Transmission Repair Guide with Pictures

I read a majority of the post. First off thank you to the OP! Great work.
Second: has no one had broken axle issues on the K46? We have replaced 2 or 3 a year for the last 4 years in husqvarna LGT. Any upgrade to do?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #882  
Thanks, LotsOfGreenGrass, GixxersRevolt, and JoeBob for your extremely helpful posts and advice and all of the replies in this thread.
I tore apart the K46BA from my Craftsman LT1000 over the weekend and was able to get it put together correctly.
I am a cheap S.O.B. so I tried sanding down the center case, motor, and pump mating surfaces; and replaced the fluid with 5w50.
After a stressful air bleeding process where I thought for sure I missed something; the tractor came back to life.
I'm going to let it sit overnight and see if it is anymore responsive tonight. I am probably going to break it down again, though based on anyone's feedback on my two questions.

1. The "freewheeling" bypass lever. I have zero resistance when I push this in and out. If I push the rod all the way in (beyond the hole in the chassis!), there is a slight catch at the very end. I realize that there is two positions on the lever for the rod. I'm in the outer most position, and may try moving to the inner position to gain some length. But my question is, shouldn't I feel some resistance pushing this in and out?

ByPass Position.jpg

From the 89 pages of replies: I have checked the fluid level and I have 2.3qts of oil in her. I made sure the "tic-tac" pin (#25) is in place, and also the washer (#39). The one post that I saw that might be the culprit is that someone reported the snap ring (#19) in theirs broke. I'm also concerned about #90 & #95. Small spring pins, might have broken.

2. The IDS Valves. In one of the early posts, someone mentioned to be careful that these don't pop-out. Not only did mine not pop-out. They feel seized. Does anyone know what these do? May tractor is moving in forward and reverse, ok; not great. But when I had it opened up, I could not get either of these two to budge. I'm thinking that this may necessitate replacing the center case; but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I didn't find any post where anyone reported an issue with these.

IDSValves.jpg

Thanks for any replies, all the best,
Matt

Last edited:
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #883  
Does anyone have the best description on how to un-install the transmission?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #885  
Thanks dlabrie. I assumed I had a K46, turns out my Scott's has a K62. I'll start another thread cuz I need some help with that as well.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #886  
So after reading all of the great posts here, I have opened up the transmission on my JD 110. It has about 340 hours on it. It had been groaning for a couple of seasons but still cut my very hilly terrain until last week when I lost reverse and barely had any forward left.

Both magnets looked like Chia pets :) The filter is plugged solid with metal, and the differential gears are a bit worn. I have priced out the parts: pump, motor, center case, gears, etc. at TT and it looks like it will cost about $400+. I just can't decide if I should do it or not; I am afraid of throwing good money after bad. It has always run well but I wonder if I should just sell it for parts and buy another.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_2250.JPG
    1-IMG_2250.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #887  
FWIW, mytractorforum.com has extensive descriptions of how to, why to, OR NOT TO rebuild the various TT transaxles. I bought last season, a HUSKY AWD MOWER WITH 2 TT TRANSAXLES, ONE OF WHICH, THE REAR ONE, WAS LEAKING BADLY FROM THE FACTory. It was replaced under warranty, but a thread on the model 322 AWD Husky tractors was extremely useful in finding the problem and solution, and many other useful pieces of info. The guys on the above mentioned forum know just about everything there is to know about TT transaxles.

Hope you TBN members find this useful info.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #888  
Where can I find that on mytractorforum?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #889  
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #890  
My L130 with a k46 just smoked a drive belt. I got the belt off and was making sure all the pulleys turned freely before reinstall. The K46 pulley/fan don't seem to turn real freely. Is an amount of resistance normal? I'm not sure if I need to rebuild or just put the drive belt back on. Or maybe just pull/clean/install new filter and fluid. I looked at tuff torq and didn't see where they listed
1. Cylinder block (pump) kit
2. Cylinder block (Motor) Kit

I called derrick and inquired about above and he just steered me to the rebuild kit. At over $400 with fuild, i'm not sure it's worth it.