TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #911  
@OP,
As other have said: Thanks for this thread.
I used it as inspiration to rebuild my TT K46BT.
I completed the rebuild mid-May. The mower can pull hills again. Thanks.
Next, on to the steering!

A few pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/user/kewakl/library/YTH_TT

P.S. I did the heavier oil replacement. It worked for about 4 cuttings.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #912  
Can anyone confirm if I am on the right track here. I figure I have nothing to lose to try other than my time and what should be small cost for the parts.
Log into tufftorqservices site and navigate to your specific transaxle(based on the sticker on the transaxle.)
Then you can get an exploded drawing and a price list. There are *many* K46 variants. Get the correct number!
My sticker has this data on it: TUFF TORQ 7A646084180 S/N: 46BT0079156 HOP PN: 405384
So, mine is a K46BT. <--- The text formatting is mine.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #913  
So I've spent hours going through this thread as I'm sure many others have as well. I just finished the rebuild on my K46, I get about 30 minutes of use out of it before it starts to slow to a crawl, once again. I replaced the motor and the pump, the differential gears as they were worn, the filter and used 5w-50 synthetic oil. I didn't replace the center case, this may be my next attempt at fixing this, any other advice? I also tried replacing the traction drive belt on the tractor, still with no success. Thanks in advance.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #914  
So I've spent hours going through this thread as I'm sure many others have as well. I just finished the rebuild on my K46, I get about 30 minutes of use out of it before it starts to slow to a crawl, once again. I replaced the motor and the pump, the differential gears as they were worn, the filter and used 5w-50 synthetic oil. I didn't replace the center case, this may be my next attempt at fixing this, any other advice? I also tried replacing the traction drive belt on the tractor, still with no success. Thanks in advance.

Keep us posted with your outcome.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #915  
Hello, I really appreciate instruction and expertise here. I'm about to embark on rebuilding my K46 because it isn't working. Before I do, I'd like a sanity check before getting started. I'm unable to get it to freewheel with the bypass lever set to bypass (I tried in both positions). Nor will it move forward or backward when powered. Does it sound like a rebuild is in order here? This is my first experience with a hydrostatic transmission - I would enjoy opening it up, but I'm trying to be smart here and yield to wisdom :)

Thank you LotsofGreenGrass for your documentation!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #916  
I did a rebuild on my K46. First differential gears, this helped. Then due to lack of torq I opened her up again to replace motor & pump & center case. Thought all was good till the forward and reverse turned out to be backwards. Found the tread on flipping the motor housing(#36). This did the trick although it is now in with the thin side up which is not how it came out - go figure! I can now go back to pulling my trail deck and cutting 8 feet at a time with my JD-LT190. Thanks for all the great advice!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #918  
Hello, I really appreciate instruction and expertise here. I'm about to embark on rebuilding my K46 because it isn't working. Before I do, I'd like a sanity check before getting started. I'm unable to get it to freewheel with the bypass lever set to bypass (I tried in both positions). Nor will it move forward or backward when powered. Does it sound like a rebuild is in order here? This is my first experience with a hydrostatic transmission - I would enjoy opening it up, but I'm trying to be smart here and yield to wisdom :)

Thank you LotsofGreenGrass for your documentation!

I agree you did a fantastic job!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #919  
Has anyone done this repair lately? I just called Tuff Torq and asked about getting just the 2 pump kits and not have to buy the entire Repair Kit and I was told they do not do that. So instead of having to buy just $165 in parts, I have to buy the entire kit for $341. Has anyone else ran into this?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #920  
Follow up to my recent post. Just received this email:

Hello,
The information you have is rather old. You have to get the whole kit now. If you do not replace the center case you will be in the same boat shortly as the pump and motor will conform to the wear of machined faces of the center case and you will be right back in the same position. For that reason we off the whole kit to ensure it is a complete rebuild of the hydraulic system. Please see below for part number and pricing of the repair kit for your transmission.

Tuff Torq Corporation
After Market Service Parts
6041 Hunter Road
Talbott, TN 37877
Phone (866) 572-3441
Fax (423) 317-2312