Tractor
    2000 newholland 2120 hss

Default 2000 new holland 2120 hss problem

Hi guys

My NewHolland 2120 hss has about 900 hours on it and has been used mainly to load mulch and grading out for lawn installs.
    Starting last year it began cutting out when engaged in forward or reverse. It was like the tractor was shifted into neutral. After
    a few seconds it would usually re-engage or I would hit the clutch pedal and move the forward and reverse lever back and worth until
    it re-engaged. I have the repair manual, I preformed the hydro service including cleaning the suction screen, new filter and oil. I checked
    the forward/reverse/nuetral switch ok. Checked the mode switch ok checked the control box tested out of range. replaced it and rechecked
    got the same readings (i am assuming box is ok, just wrong data). I checked the forward / reverse solenoids ok. Purchased fittings
    check relief pressure setting and adjusted to factory specs. I checked the cable from the clutch pedal to solenoid pak cable and valve move
    ok. At this point it looks like forward and reverse clutch paks are bad. Before I split the tractor is there anything I may have missed? Has anyone
    had this problem? I am assuming the hss hydraulic pump is ok because relief pressure is good and all other hydraulic functions ie loader and backhoe operate
    fine. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Tractor
    Ford 640, Ford 2120

Default Re: 2000 new holland 2120 hss problem

Hi, I am also having HSS problems with my 2120 and I just made a thread about it. How did you test the electronic control box and solenoids? Do you have manual that covers the EHSS version that we have? My 2120 will not start when it has this problem. Thanks.

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

Jim, are you certain the linkage is moving through its full range of motion? Hard to believe both clutch packs would simultaneously quit. I have the trans troubleshooting page somewhere if it would help you.
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Tractor
    2000 newholland 2120 hss

Default Re: 2000 new holland 2120 hss problem

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the reply. I went thru the entire flow chart (service manual) for the ehss.
    I tested the f/n/r switch mode switch solenoids and control box. The control box is tested using a volt/ammeter. Just follow the manual. I agree that it's strange that both forward and reverse clutches could be bad at the same time.
    However when I did the 350 or 500 hour hydro service I found alot of grey clumpy material in the filter
    and in the drained oil. Reminded me of a automatic trans with burned up clutches. I also read a tread in another forum where the guy had to replace the clutch paks because the material literally just came off the metal backing plates. One additional note I usually run the machine in the turtle or slow mode setting, just the other day I switched into the rabbit mode (fast shift mode) and the machine performed perfectly, no slipping or jumping in and out of forward or reverse. I only ran it for about an hour, so I will try it again and see how it goes.
    Gwydyr, if the machine wont turn over make sure you check the pto lever, on my unit if it is just slightly out the tractor will not turn over. also check the f/n/r switch with the volt meter that can also cause a no start. Thanks guys.