Retaining ring or clip ring, can they be

/ Retaining ring or clip ring, can they be #1  

Newtogreen

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4115
Is it ok to reshape a sprung retaining ring? I was taking a Italian made tiller apart and the retaining ring on the shaft that holds a bearing on was a b**** to get off. Anyway I kind of stretched it out of shape just a little. I put it in a vise and got back into shape. I know it would be easier just to put a new one on but finding one is the problem. I don't think the bearing is going anywhere because it is snug in the housing. The ring is just spread alittle out but I got it back into shape. So do you think reusing it will be ok. Thanks Larry

/ Retaining ring or clip ring, can they be #2  
If at all possible, replace it.
Small things like that can cause big problems down the road.

/ Retaining ring or clip ring, can they be #3  
tru-arc ring ?(internal, or external) E clip ? C clip? I have straightened hundreds of them, of course replacing would be better, but with minimum orders, package quantities, more shipping cost than part cost, ectra, you do what you must. I would give this advice. 1 make sure it is tight enough to fit and stay. 2 make sure it is not deformed, bent or "wavy". 3 I have been know to swap it with either a less critical, or easier to get back to, ring of the same size. (put the good one on the inside of the assembly,and the fixed one on the outside so its easy to keep an eye on and a quick replacement if you do get new ones, then you dont have to disassemble a whole assembly)

/ Retaining ring or clip ring, can they be #4  
I've swapped positions as well (put the questionable one in the easiest place to change) until I could get a new one in there. Does it "snap" into the groove now?

/ Retaining ring or clip ring, can they be #5  
oh and if it is a tru arc, get a GOOD pair of tru arc pliers. Snap on, blackhawk, matco, ect. they are worth their weight in gold. I have pinched more blood blisters on my hands fom using,or more often fixing rings bent by cheap pliers. I work on printing presses and paper handling machines and they are LOADED with clips.

/ Retaining ring or clip ring, can they be
Thanks for the reply's, its an external ring. I haven't tried putting it on yet I was waiting for some thoughts. The ring is not weak to my knowledge, its on the end of a tiller shaft that is bolted to two sides so I don't think anything will go anyplace if it broke. I really don't see how it could break.Ditto on the good pliers, unfortunately I only had cheap ones. Larry

/ Retaining ring or clip ring, can they be #7  
I surely wouldn't. (would not re-use a sprung retainer clip )

soundguy

/ Retaining ring or clip ring, can they be #9  
I wouldn't re use one that was deformed past it's plastic deformation limit and then had to be bent back...

soundguy