kubota L35

/ kubota L35 #1  

dnj12345

Hi I have a kubota L35 it has 1300hrs on it. When I drive it on long trams maybe half a mile the front wheels lock up. I have to put it in reverse and drive it home in four wheel drive. Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

/ kubota L35 #2  
It's time to find out now!

It sounds like something is loose or broken, and I suspect more damage is inevitable should you keep using it.

If you're going to do the repairs yourself please take pictures and post them for us. Good luck.

/ kubota L35
It only has done it twice when I use it around the yard it never happens thanks for your help

/ kubota L35 #4  
I am thinking bad bearings?

/ kubota L35 #5  
Were you driving in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive when it locks up? Sounds like axle wind up (in 4 wheel drive). This is quite possible, especially if you're driving on hard pavement.
I've never experienced it on my tractor (but other then a little work on the road when plowing snow, this machine never sees hard pavement).
I suggest you ensure you were in 2 wheel drive (maybe the selector lever was in the wrong position). If this happens again, and you have a front end loader, stop the tractor, lift the front end (so the front wheels are off the pavement) then lower it and see if that corrects the "lock up". If it does, I think your tractor's 4 wheel drive is engaged or engaging during the transport.
Kenny's thoughts about bad bearings is possible too, but I would think that would show up during any movement, but dnj12345 writes this never happens while operating in his yard (off road).

/ kubota L35
I bought the tractor off of the gas company. I never use it on the road. When this happened I was in a field. The tractor was in two wheel drive I made sure when it happened the second time. Do you think it will be a very expensive fix? Thanks for the help.

/ kubota L35 #7  
You have an issue in one of your front hubs it only takes one!

/ kubota L35
Thanks for the info is that a hard repair?

/ kubota L35 #10  
Thanks for the info is that a hard repair?

There's one thing that certain -- it'll be harder to repair if you keep using the tractor! ;)

Block the front wheels up with jackstands and lift the rear-end up with a good floor jack.
Put the transmission in high gear. Range selector in high range. Shift into 4WD. Spin the front wheels by hand. Listen for "bad" noises.

Disengage 4WD. Put the transmission and the range selector in neutral. Spin the front wheels by hand. Listen for "bad" noises.

This can help you to determine if the problem is in one of the front wheel assemblies (planetary gears or bearings) or in the 4WD transmission.

AKfish