Bronze Member

Default Painting over powder coat

Hi................... Does anyone have any suggestions for painting over powder coat paint . I want to do some repairs and repaint some tractor attachments that were originally powder coated. Other than removing rust and loose paint is there a special paint that should be used?
    Thanks.....Casey

Tractor
    John Deere 410 LBH

Default Re: Painting over powder coat

Powder coated paint isn't any different to paint over than standard paint. Prep it well by sanding it first to scuff it up and loose the sheen so new paint will stick well, then wash it well and wipe it down with mineral spirits first. Tractor supply paint will work fine, but it's not great. Actually have much better luck with standard rust-oleum but don't think it comes in kubota orange. Brush it on or spray dosen't matter as long as it's done in the shade and it's over 50 degrees outside, just MAKE SURE YOU USE HARDENER. You can find that at tractor supply in small bottles in the paint section, follow the directions. You can add it to any kind of automotive style oil-based paint including the rust-oleum. Your coat will then be 10x more durable than the standard paint alone. Paint is pretty much useless without it unless it never gets touched or handled. Hope this helps.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L 3400DT

Hello
    I too would go with Industrial paint with the hardener.
    I have been happy with Tractor Supply paint and with the hardener it looks a lot like powder but not as durable or long lasting.
    But it isn't very expensive.

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

There is a difference between powder coating and baked enamel.A lot of people get the two confused. Powder coating is usually like plastic.Here is a link Powder coating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If I was going to paint over powder coat I would use a plastic paint. BTW the only way I have found to remove powder coat is to burn it off.
    Bill

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Ok- so there's power coating and baked enamel- what about baked Alaska, anyone used that?

So where does one find 'plastic' paint?
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

I guess I should have said paint for plastics. I know Krylon makes some.
    Bill