Painting over powder coat

/ Painting over powder coat #1  

caseyvand

Bronze Member
Hi................... Does anyone have any suggestions for painting over powder coat paint . I want to do some repairs and repaint some tractor attachments that were originally powder coated. Other than removing rust and loose paint is there a special paint that should be used?
Thanks.....Casey

/ Painting over powder coat #2  
Powder coated paint isn't any different to paint over than standard paint. Prep it well by sanding it first to scuff it up and loose the sheen so new paint will stick well, then wash it well and wipe it down with mineral spirits first. Tractor supply paint will work fine, but it's not great. Actually have much better luck with standard rust-oleum but don't think it comes in Kubota orange. Brush it on or spray dosen't matter as long as it's done in the shade and it's over 50 degrees outside, just MAKE SURE YOU USE HARDENER. You can find that at tractor supply in small bottles in the paint section, follow the directions. You can add it to any kind of automotive style oil-based paint including the rust-oleum. Your coat will then be 10x more durable than the standard paint alone. Paint is pretty much useless without it unless it never gets touched or handled. Hope this helps.

/ Painting over powder coat #3  
Hello
I too would go with Industrial paint with the hardener.
I have been happy with Tractor Supply paint and with the hardener it looks a lot like powder but not as durable or long lasting.
But it isn't very expensive.

/ Painting over powder coat #4  
There is a difference between powder coating and baked enamel.A lot of people get the two confused. Powder coating is usually like plastic.Here is a link Powder coating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If I was going to paint over powder coat I would use a plastic paint. BTW the only way I have found to remove powder coat is to burn it off.
Bill

/ Painting over powder coat #5  
Ok- so there's power coating and baked enamel- what about baked Alaska, anyone used that?:laughing:

So where does one find 'plastic' paint?

/ Painting over powder coat #6  
I guess I should have said paint for plastics. I know Krylon makes some.
Bill