Broke my BH

/ Broke my BH #11  
Maybe the cylinder is defective in some way, take it to the shop and ask. it seems you may not be the only one this has happened to and just maybe you will get a new one for free. it does not hurt to ask. not sure why these would bend from normal use unless it was hit from the side somehow.

/ Broke my BH #12  
Boy if those prices are even close to right on such a small (pretzel size) stinking cylinder then I'm in the wrong business. Man that just tee'd me off big time thinking how they are robbing people and they call it legal. I have replaced a cylinder off a unit I use to own and it was double if not triple the size and it was less than $200 with shipping which was a good chunk of change because they are so heavy. Well please let us know for future reference if you find out. Talk later

Darin

/ Broke my BH #13  
I still think there were some issues with the hardening process on some JD backhoe cylinders that were replaced under warranty. But I just can't seem to find the threads that were discussing it.

/ Broke my BH #14  
db4700,
It wouldn't hurt to see if some sort of warrenty will cover the cylinder.
But if it doesn't and John Deeres prices are that high for a replacement(which I'm sure they are !).
An aftermarket could probably be found for under $150.

/ Broke my BH #15  
That was the post, I forgot to highlight the text, as I was running out of work at the time. Here is the link to he actual posting: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=jdown&Number=43150&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post43150/>BROKEN HOE</A> Read the 2nd to last post from Chris to see the resolution. This person had JD cover the repairs under warranty, if you bought the Hoe new from a dealer I would not pay for the repair yourself, this is a common problem. Hope this helps, Jason

/ Broke my BH
I went back out to my land today to pick up my tractor and take some pictures of the backhoe to take to the dealer. It looks a lot like the cylinder in the post you identified and some others. I hope I can get it covered under warranty since it should not have bent under the power of the backhoe itself.

/ Broke my BH
View of the bent cylinder.

Attachments

• 48-184682-Bent1.jpg
    48-184682-Bent1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 138
   / Broke my BH
Another view.

Attachments

• 48-184683-Bent2.jpg
    48-184683-Bent2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 137
   / Broke my BH #19  
I'd push hard for the warranty fix. No way you should be able to bend the rod that way. Looks like they undersized hydraulic cylinder based on the psi your pump is pushing OR have the releif valve set too high. Somethings mismatched. If you pull/push against an immovable object you should just blow by the relief valve. WORST case scenario maybe you blow a hose or fitting. I'd be a pretty unhappy camper with JD if I were you.

/ Broke my BH #20  
That was my thought. The pressure relief valve should have opened long before that shaft started bending. I would make sure the shop checked the operation of that valve and would definitely try to force a warranty repair.