Broke my BH

/ Broke my BH #21  
hi db4700 bent my same cylinder on my bush hog back hoe
called my dealer he said the cylinder would be about 100. dollars and is easy to change the whole set up would be about 400. dollars waiting for it to arive will let you know how it goes
i'm looking for a spanner wrench to remove retaining nut bent mine on a huge stump also
EDT

/ Broke my BH #22  
I think that the real cause of it was that the cylinder rods were not properly hardened during heat treatment when the rod was being manufactured. Seems like many JD 48 owners had this problem, that I could see from looking at the TBN archives. It is amazing that JD did not put out a notice on this, I guess it is cheaper to pay them out as they happen and some they probably get the user to pay for. If it had not been for TBN and it's archives I would not have seen this trend. Just another benefit of having this site....

/ Broke my BH #23  
The problem was that the factory put in the wrong pressure relief valve.

While I was at the dealer I made the mistake of looking at a JD 110 TLB. That was a big mistake! This machine makes my 4700 and 48 BH look like a toy and it costs about the same. Now that that JD has the 110 I cannot see why anyone would buy a 4710. I won't be able to sleep now knowing that I could have had a much better machine if I had only waited a few months to buy!!! /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Broke my BH #24  
If its just the ram bent take it to a hydraulics shop, i used to be a machinist at one and we kept all sizes of ram on hand and made replacements and also custom cylinders takes about 2 hours and at a cost of 35 dollars and hour.

/ Broke my BH #25  
Take the cyl off, dissassemble the rod cap so as to remove the rod (if you can). You can purchase piston rod stock allready chromed from baileynet.com but you must know the length and diameter. bring the old rod and new material to a machine shop to machine threads and shoulder on piston end then cut bushed end off old and weld on to new. buy a seal kit if necessary and reassemble. Cost - machine shop $60.oo rod and cap seals $20.oo. The machine shop will give you the sizes of the rod, rod seal, and cap seal in both metric and american measurements for ordering purposes. good luck

/ Broke my BH #26  
John Deere is fixing the backhoe under warranty so they just ordered a new cylinder and replaced it. Now they are waiting for the relief valve soi they can finish the job. They are also supposed to be fixing the cruise control which never worked. I had gotten so used to using the tractor that the two weeks that it has been in the shop has totally messed up my routine and I have had to improvise to get things done that would have been simple with the tractor. I hope to get it back this week.

After looking at the backhoe on the 110 I will always be afraid that the 48 BH will break. The rod on this machine is at least twice the diameter of the one on the 48 BH. Like I said in my last post the 48 BH now looks more like a toy to me than a real machine. I can't see why anyone would buy the setup I have when they can have a heavy duty piece of machinery for the same price. In fact it looks like you get a whole lot more for the dollar on the 110. If I had known they would be bringing this machine out I would have waited and bought it in an instant. What a different 6 months makes.

/ Broke my BH #27  
Does the TLB have a 3 pt hitch. and is the BH removable, is there a PTO on the TLB. If not then would the tractor really meet your needs? I know I use mine to brush hog/finish mow, as well as use the mid PTO to showblow. Would the TLB be able to do any of those things? Either way you have had that tractor for 6 months doing projects, and that is worth something!! You can always trade up, as you 'old' tractor will retain its value. Cheer up, you could be still using a wheel barrow and a shovel /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

/ Broke my BH #28  
Hey, look on the bright side. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif It's done everything you've needed so far and Deere is fixing it under warranty, so you're not paying out for that. You'll get your machine back good as new and it can do things the 110 can't.

Have fun,
Michael

/ Broke my BH #29  
<font color=blue>Does the TLB have a 3 pt hitch. and is the BH removable, is there a PTO on the TLB. </font color=blue>

Yes the TLB has a 3 pt hitch and a PTO. They have about the same specs as my 4700.

The backhoe is a quick attach implement and while it may not be as quick to remove and take off as the 48 BH is, it looks like it would be pretty close. The loader is not designed to be removable but I rarely remove it except to mow and even then I don't always remove it. The 110 comes with a heavy duty loader bucket standard and there is an option for remote hydraulics front and rear for a grapple for the loader bucket and for a hydraulic PHD or jack hammer on the BH. Those last two I could really use. They are not available for the 48BH as it is not sturdy enough to handle them - it is not even sturdy enough to handle itself.

I have been pretty satisfied with my tractor except that it is not really big enough to handle the type of work I have to do.
I can't afford another tractor but I sure wish I had known that the 110 was comming out a few months after I bought so I could have gotten something better matched to what I have to do.

/ Broke my BH #30  
I am trying to look on the bright side but it starting to seem like I don't have a tractor anymore. They keep saying it is almost finished but 1 or 2 days has turned into weeks. The real bright side is that is entirely too hot and humid for anyone to be working outdoors here.

The 110 can do anything the 4700 can and better. The only thing I can see that is not better is that the loader is not removable but then it is setup for skidsteer attachments so it is more versatile as well as being a lot heavier duty. The BH is easily removed and you don't even have to dismount the tractor to move between tractor and BH like I do now. The other bad thing is that it is yellow instead of green but I have lots of spray guns. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif