Broke my BH

/ Broke my BH #1  

db4700

Tractor
JD 4700
I bent the bucket curl cylinder rod into a pretzel on my JD48 back hoe. I was digging out a stump like I did many times before when I heard the screaching sound of metal on metal as I tried to curl the bucket. I am still not sure what happened to cause the rod to bend but in any event I will need a new hydraulic cylinder when I can afford one. Does anyone have a guess how much a cylinder will cost?

/ Broke my BH #2  
db4700 the cost of one of those cylinders out weighs the cost of just buying yourself a new JD48 backhoe. If you want I will buy the one you have now though and maybe I will just part it out. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Actually there were some later back that experienced the same thing and I think if you do a search for them you will find some helpful info. As far as cost I can't see them being too much,,,,total guess but no more than $150. ????? Boy looking at my #7 backhoe the cylinder size is about the size of a big salt pretzel. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif But it digs alot better than my back and arms that's for darn sure. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I am just joking for my bh does a great job.

Darin

/ Broke my BH #3  
Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred for a new cylinder (unless it's painted green - if so, double it). You could see if it can be rebuilt. I snapped the rod on the extendahoe cylinder for my Case 580C, and that cost me C$900 to get rebuilt. I subsequently discovered that it had been contracted out to a local hydraulics shop and if I would have went there it would have cost a lot less.
I would remove the cylinder and bring it to the local hydraulics shop. If they can't rebuild it, at least they can tell you exactly what the replacement should be.

/ Broke my BH #4  
I seem to remember that this was a common problem on this model hoe. I think it had to do with the cylinder stock was not heat treated all the way through. Do a search in the archives on this. I think that JD was covering this under the warantee since this was a known problem that many were having. I'm sure some other TBNers can respond here. How long have you had the hoe?

/ Broke my BH
Darin, Thanks for the hint to do a search. I found a few similar instances. Based on what I read it looks like your guess may be off by about $500! I guess I will learn to live without the use of my backhoe. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Broke my BH
Boustany, I found a post where someone needed this cylinder for a New Hooland BH and it listed for $585 so I would bet the JD part is $685. My dealership is small and the parts guy is having to serve as mechanic for today so I can't reach him to get a price. I wonder if I could get away with buying an aftermarket cylinder and welding the old bushings on it it.

/ Broke my BH
I bought the BH in March. I used it a lot at first to dig stumps and to put in a culvert but it has been mostly sitting for the last three months while I built fences. I hooked it up yesterday to dig up a few stumps along the fence line before I strung the wire. I had no problem with these stumps but I just had to stop and get one more stump on the way back to get the box blade. This stump was a stuborn oak that did not seem to want to budge. I kept digging and put the bucket down behind it to check if it was ready to give a little when I heard the screaching metal sound. I thought I must have bent the bucket and was really supprised when I got off the tractor and saw the cylinder shaft. I described it as a pretzel but it looks more like a corksrew. I wish I knew why this happened and how I can prevent it from happening again. I doubt I will ever feel very comfortable using this implement again for fear that it will bend another shaft.

/ Broke my BH #8  
With those prices, all the more reason to visit a hydraulics shop or even find out the specs and order one from away. I believe cylinders are pretty much standard sizes, even though the ends (bushings) may vary one to another. If I thought I could save a few hundred bucks, I'd sure look into it. I dealt with one cylinder repair job via courier once, so it is doable.
I bet you could get a new replacement for less than $200, surplus or used, even less. Welding bushings onto an aftermarket cylinder is a standard repair, so you might go for it.

/ Broke my BH #9  
Check out this post, this guy got it covered by JD and it sounds like he was doing exactly what you were doing....

I went out after supper today to dig out some 4" & smaller tree stumps with my JD4400 & 48 hoe. It was just getting dark and I was about to quit but decided to do one more. I was reaching over and digging behind the stump trying to pull it out. I went to tilt the bucket back, it made a loud squall and stopped. I got off to see what the problem was. I could not believe what I saw. The bucket cylinder shaft is now bent in an L shape. Has this happened to anyone else? I knew I should have gone back to the shop and worked after supper. It was in the archives I did a search on back hoe bend and that is what I found.....

Jason

/ Broke my BH #10  
Jason:

You forgot to include the post or the identity of the post that you were talking about.