HELP! My JD855 is dead!

/ HELP! My JD855 is dead! #1  

guysnydr

HELP! I have no idea what happend here but I was trying to hook up a couple extra lights on the roll bar last night and 'something' happened and the whole tractor is dead. I saw nothing short out, or smelled anything funny, the thing just went dead. No dash lights -nothing. I have juice to my starter and alternator, and to the little relay looking thing mounted high just behind the dash. I ran the wire for the new lights right down the side of the roll bar and through the grommet in the fender, then spliced into the headlight lead so the new lights would come on with the stock lights. I turned it on to see if everything worked and the whole thing is dead now. Ground looks good and hot wire to stater reads 12v at the starter. also have 12 v at the alternator. Fuses test good also. I'm stumped. Any advice or anything help would be really appreciated! Can't for the life of me think of what might of happened. I have to think it's something stupid or simple that I am just overlooking. Really, really strange. Thanks in advance for ANY help.

/ HELP! My JD855 is dead! #2  
Since you tested the fuse and it tested good, and since everything at the dash is dead, I would assume that the break is farther up the line. Perhaps a fuseable link.

I don't have access to a JD wiring diagram but the main wire providing power to the ignition switch is probably protected with a fusable link. If you have power at the starter but can't start the vehicle, I would suspect that wire. It probably runs from the battery wire at the solenoid up to the switch. If there is no power to the switch, power can't get to the accessories or back to the solenoid to actuate the starter.

/ HELP! My JD855 is dead! #3  
<font color=blue>something stupid or simple </font color=blue>
Simple - most likely
Stupid - certainly not, TBN'ers never do anything stupid/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I think you will need a schematic for your tractor. I am not familiar with the 855 wiring. But in general, most of the fuses will be wired thru some of the multiple key switch contacts. When you turn the key to various positions, different circuits will be made to power lights, flashers, starter solenoid, etc. You say the fuses test good, then use your meter to see if you have power to the key switch. Without a schematic it will be difficult to tell which terminal should have power when, but you may get an idea if power it going thru the switch by checking each terminal with the switch in each position.

/ HELP! My JD855 is dead! #4  
In many cases, there is a relay that works in conjunction with the ignition switch, for power to the rest of the tractor... perhaps hte relay is hung, or as someone pointed out, a bad fuseable link.

Soundguy

<font color=red>When you turn the key to various positions, different circuits will be made to power lights, flashers, starter solenoid, etc. You say the fuses test

/ HELP! My JD855 is dead!
Thanks for all the help, Looks like it was just a fluke. I found that the contacts on the switch were in pretty bad shape. Some corosion, lots of grime. Took everything apart and clean the contacts good, reassembled and she took right off!
I'm chalking it up to coincidence. The new lights work fine as well!
Thanks again! I appreciate all the help.