Farmall Super A

/ Farmall Super A #1  

gilby23

Hello all I have a 1952 Farmall Super A Tractor and it sat for over a year and when I went to start it I noticed water in the oil. Is this common or do I have a bad situation on my hands? Now the tractor starts right up and does not smoke so im not too sure what to make of this. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks.

/ Farmall Super A #2  
Welcome to the board! Obviously water in the oil is not in the design criteria!! Does it have a verticle exhaust stack that was taking on rain water? Might be just that simple! Otherwise I'd watch the coolant level vs the oil level. Could be a head gasket, if the water level goes down, and the oil level rises! Keep us posted! ~Scotty

/ Farmall Super A
Well I believe it sat outdoors for over a year and we have had quite a bit of rain here in California this past year.. I have been draining the water thinking it was leaking into the oil some how but i will check and see by leaving the water in. Thanks

/ Farmall Super A #4  
I'd change the oil, and put a tin can over the exhaust pipe when you park it. If you still get water in your oil then you have more problems.

/ Farmall Super A #5  
Those engines are wet sleeves, and the blocks are known for cracking between the cylinders. It is easy to remove the oil pan and look up between the cylinders. If you can pressurize the cooling system it would help, too, then you will be able to watch and see if there is any seeping.

/ Farmall Super A #6  
Well I believe it sat outdoors for over a year and we have had quite a bit of rain here in California this past year.. I have been draining the water thinking it was leaking into the oil some how but i will check and see by leaving the water in. Thanks

My 1951 Super A sat out in the same CA rain and had a load of water in the gas tank. Cleaned that up, serviced the air cleaner and it started right up.
I put an aluminum beer can over the exhaust pipe to keep water out of the engine. No water in the oil so far.

/ Farmall Super A
I had the radiator drained up until this past Friday and the oil was fine..but once i filled the radiator Friday night and checked the oil on Saturday morning i had chocolate milk for oil. Now keep in mind this is without even starting the tractor. I guess i have a big problem. Have you heard of a product from Barr that you put in the radiator and it seals cracked heads and blocks? I wonder if i could use that? any Ideas?

/ Farmall Super A #8  
Mechanic in a can ain't fixing that.

I'd be pulling the pan and head and looking for freeze damage or a holed cyl wall.

soundguy

/ Farmall Super A #9  
My old Farmall acted up like that; the head gasket had failed.

I'd start by pulling the head. Check the gasket, and everything that is noted above in this thread.

/ Farmall Super A #10  
I had the radiator drained up until this past Friday and the oil was fine..but once i filled the radiator Friday night and checked the oil on Saturday morning i had chocolate milk for oil. Now keep in mind this is without even starting the tractor. I guess i have a big problem. Have you heard of a product from Barr that you put in the radiator and it seals cracked heads and blocks? I wonder if i could use that? any Ideas?

Hopefully you didn't hurt the bearings. choc milk in the oil pan will wipe out the bearings in a hury. Time to pull the head b/4 you score the crankshaft...

You don't want to make a fixable situation worse!